Induction problem: Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2

• Thread starter Calley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: This is why we need to see your work. You make these leaps that are incomprehensible.In summary, the conversation is about the concept of induction and how to use it to prove a statement. The person is struggling with the inductive step and making the correct assumptions. There is also a discussion about the use of mathematical logic and the importance of showing all steps in a proof.
Calley
Homework Statement
Induktion problem seeming problematic
Relevant Equations
It says that we have sequence starting with T1, T2,T3...
and that Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2. it also says that T1=T2=T3=1. Then states that Tk<=2^k,
for all K= 1, 2 ,3....
I have come to the conclusion that the sequence is 1 1 1 3 5 9...

trying to do induktion and I get Tp+1=2^p+1, which means that 2^p +2p-1 + 2p-2 <=2^p+1 and this is not really solvable in any satisfactory way. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand where you are having the problem. Can you post what you are trying to do for the inductive step?

Step one Base it works for k=4.

Step two: If it works for k=4 it works for k=p

Step three: if it works for k=p it also works for k+1 =p+1

so Tp+1 <=2^p+1 ==> Tp + Tp-1 +Tp-2 <=2^p+1
==> 2^p + 2^p-1 +2^p-2 <=2^p+1

Calley said:
I don't understand this.

Calley said:
This is called the inductive step. Can you post your attempt at this step?

Although, it should be ##k = p +1##.

PeroK said:
I don't understand this.This is called the inductive step. Can you post your attempt at this step?
I fixed it a bit. pls check. it does state that Tk<=2^k not Tk<=2^k+1

Last edited:
Calley said:
I fixed it a bit. pls check. it does state that Tk<=2^k not Tk<=2^k+1
Sorry, I missed this post, as I didn't get an alert.

Calley said:
Step one Base it works for k=4.

so Tp+1 <=2^p+1 ==> Tp + Tp-1 +Tp-2 <=2^p+1
==> 2^p + 2^p-1 +2^p-2 <=2^p+1
You shouldn't start with what you want to prove. A lot of students seem to make this mistake and have the implication the wrong way round. You want to prove that $$T_{p} \le 2^p \ \Rightarrow \ T_{p+1} \le 2^{p+1}$$The inductive step, therefore, starts by assuming ## T_{p} \le 2^p##.

PeroK said:
Sorry, I missed this post, as I didn't get an alert.You shouldn't start with what you want to prove. A lot of students seem to make this mistake and have the implication the wrong way round. You want to prove that $$T_{p} \le 2^p \ \Rightarrow \ T_{p+1} \le 2^{p+1}$$The inductive step, therefore, starts by assuming ## T_{p} \le 2^p##.
I have done that. Here is where I'm a bit lost. Not sure how to proceed.

Tp+Tp-1+Tp-2 =<2^p+1 ?

Calley said:
I have done that. Here is where I'm a bit lost. Not sure how to proceed.

Tp+Tp-1+Tp-2 =<2^p+1 ?
I didn't see you do it! After you write the hypothesis for the inductive step. Assume:
$$T_{p} \le 2^p$$The next step is generally to calculate ##T_{p+1}##. Therefore:
$$T_{p+1} = T_p + T_{p-1} + T_{p-2} \le \dots$$

Likes docnet
PS In this case there is actually a subtlely in the use of induction that you need to be aware of.

PeroK said:
PS In this case there is actually a subtlely in the use of induction that you need to be aware of.
Tp + Tp-1+Tp-2 <= 2^p+1
2^p + 2^p-1 + 2^p-2 <= 2^p+1

what I am getting is 3p-3<=p+1 and i can't draw any conclusion here.

or switch the 2^p+1 into other parts on the right hand?

Calley said:
Tp + Tp-1+Tp-2 <= 2^p+1

To be honest, I haven't see any coherent mathematics from you yet. The statements you are writing are disjointed from each other and don't follow explicitly from what was previously assumed. In particular, you still seem to be working from the assumption that what you are trying to prove is true.

Induction is pure mathematics and in order to do a proof by induction, you must learn to get the correct flow of mathematical logic. Many students struggle with this. The mistakes you are making are very common. There's nothing wrong with struggling, but to make progress you need to try to understand how I am tackling the problem.

To recap, what we have (this is the level of work that will be expected from you):

1) By inspection ##T_k < 2^k## for ##k = 1, 2, 3##.

2) Let ##p \ge 3##, and assume ##T_k \le 2^k## for ##k = 1, 2, \dots p##. Therefore:
$$T_{p+1} = T_p + T_{p-1} + T_{p-2} \le \dots$$

A template for writing proof by induction from my professor's notes (it has been really helpful to me) :
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.25.34 AM.png

:)

Last edited:
Calley said:

We need to see your work, not just what you end up with. Frankly, I'm mystified how you ended up with ##3p-3 \le p+1##.

1. What is the induction problem in relation to the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2?

The induction problem, also known as the "proof by induction" problem, is a method of mathematical proof used to show that a statement is true for all values of a variable. In the context of the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2, the induction problem refers to the challenge of proving that the equation holds true for all values of k, starting from a base case (usually k=1 or k=0) and using the previous values of T to prove the next value.

2. How is the induction problem solved for the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2?

The induction problem for the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2 is solved by using a technique called "strong induction." This involves proving the base case (usually k=1 or k=0) and then assuming that the equation holds true for all values up to and including some arbitrary value n. Using this assumption, the equation can then be proven for the next value (n+1) and thus, by extension, for all values of k.

3. What is the importance of solving the induction problem for the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2?

The induction problem is important because it allows us to prove that a statement or equation is true for all values of a variable, without having to check each individual value. In the case of the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2, solving the induction problem allows us to confidently use the equation to make predictions and calculations for any value of k, knowing that it holds true for all values.

4. Are there any limitations to using induction to solve the equation Tk+1 = Tk + Tk-1 + Tk-2?

While induction is a powerful tool for proving mathematical statements, it does have some limitations. For example, it can only be used to prove statements that are true for all values of a variable. If a statement is only true for a specific set of values, induction cannot be used to prove it. Additionally, induction relies on the assumption that the equation holds true for all values up to and including some arbitrary value n, which may not always be true.

5. How is the induction problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The induction problem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as recursion, combinatorics, and number theory. It is also used in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. Additionally, the concept of induction is closely tied to the concept of proof and is often used as a building block for more complex mathematical proofs.