1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex differential equations to find functions [TRIED]

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to solve two differential equations to find a population function P(t). I am able to do this with problems like newtons law of cooling:

dT/dt=-k(T-Ta) solves to:
    dT=-k(T-Ta) dt
    ∫1/(T-Ta)dT=∫-k dt
    Ln(T-Ta)=-kt
    e-kt=T-Ta
    T=Ta+E-kt

However I have been presented with two hard problems which I can not do:

1. dP/dt=kP-AP2
    2. dP/dt=kP(M-P)

using P=Po at t=0 find P(t) for both.

2. Relevant equations

^As above, no other equations where provided, it is pretty much calculus and algebra

3. The attempt at a solution

dP=kP-AP2 dt
    dP=P(k-AP) dt
    1/P dP = k-AP dt
    ∫1/P dP = ∫k-AP dt
    Ln(P)=t(k-AP)
    Ln(P)=tk-APt
    etk-APT=P
    loge(tk-APt)=P
    eP=tk-APt

From there it just loops around. I can not think of anything else to do with it. As you can not (that I am aware of, unless you used unreals, factorise kP-AP2.

Thanks for reading this, I am not giving up and will continue to work on it now.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$$
    \frac{dP}{P(k-AP)} = \frac {-1} A \frac {dP}{P(P-\frac k A)}$$Use partial fractions.

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot, I have now come down to: XP2- XPk/A - AY=1 (Instead of using A and B for partial fractions I used X and Y as those variables were not already used). The questions we have done in class involve something like: x-3=Ax-A+Bx+B and we just split them up into terms which contain x and terms not containing X to solve for A and B. Would you split it up into terms containing P and not P or terms not containing P or k or A?

We have not done this type of question containing two unknown variables (apart from those used for the partial fractions of course) yet. I apologize that I do now know how to use MathsJax, I am just using the quick symbols.

EDIT: Should I have used three fractions and used X,Y,Z as P(k-AP) could be factorized to:

-A times P times P - k/a. Then split the the final line into variables containing each one (somehow, some might contain two variables but I suppose they could be eliminated when finding the values for X, Y and Z). I will try it now...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. Apr 25, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just call the P's x's and call -k/A "c" and you will feel right at home$$
    \frac 1 {x(x-c)}$$with a -1/A out in front.

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5
    That makes a lot more sense, I am doing it now. I assume the -1/A can be simply integrated to -Ln(A) as you just simplified -1/A to -1 times 1/A. I will post my results once I finish, thank you a lot by the way. I would be unable to do this without your help.

7. Apr 25, 2013 #6
    This is my working:

∫1/(Pk- AP2) dP
    = ∫-1/A times p(p-k/a) dP
    ∫-1/A dP can be solved
    = -1P/A (this could be incorrect)
    now back to the other part (I know this setting out is terrible)
    ∫ p(p-k/a) dP

let P=x and -k/A=c

∫ x(x-c) dx
    ∫ A/x +B/(x-c) dx
    ∫ A(x-c)/x(x-c) +Bx/x(x-c) dx
    ∫ A(x-c)+Bx / x(x-c) dx
    ∫ Ax-Ac+Bx / x(x-c) dx

Therefore Ax-Ac+Bx / x(x-c) = 1
    Split up into terms containing x and terms not containing x

X
    A+B=0
    B=-A

Other
    -Ac=1
    -A=1/c
    A=-1/c

Therefore B= 1/c

-1/c / x + 1/c / (x-c) = 1 / Pk-AP2
    Sub C and P back in...
    A=-1/c
    A=-1/(-k/A)
    A =A/k

B=1/c
    B=1/(-k/A)
    B=-A/k

So you get:

∫-1/A times [A/k / P + -A/k / (P + k/A) ] dP

8. Apr 25, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would you assume that? -1/ A is just a constant out in front. The variable of integration is P (or x if you renamed it).

9. Apr 25, 2013 #8
    Oh, that makes sense. My bad, it was lake when I typed that. Is my working for the A and B values correct, I will try to differentiate the final line now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted