• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Induction question from Philosophy class

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let P be a true sentence, and let Q be formed by putting some number of negation symbols in front of P. Show that if you put an even number of negation symbols, then Q is true, but that if you put an odd number, then Q is false.

Homework Equations

So .... the problem also suggests that I use induction, if I know how to use it. From Math class I know how to use the principle of induction: Show that P(1) is true, and then show that if P(n) is true, P(n+1) is true as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

But I'm not sure how to use it in this problem. Please help.

Answers and Replies

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to do it in parts. First, show that for an even number of negations, Q is true. Then for an odd number of negations, Q is false.

Let's consider what P(1) is for the even number of negations. It's safest to handle both of the possible ways to look at this: either that zero negation signs counts as an even number (in which case, this is trivial) or two negation symbols. Then P(n) is the statement: P with 2n negation symbols in front of it. Assuming P(n) is true, show P(n+1), which is P with 2n+2 negation symbols in front of it.

Repeat for the odd case.

That just seems like an extremely trivial thing to consider. P is true, so ~P is false. ~~P is true, so you can just keep adding ~~ to either of those statements ad infinitum and keep the same truth value. It's rather like asking you to show that for N a natural number and Pi*N, cos(Pi*N) is 1 for even N and -1 for odd N.