Calculate Inductor Maximum Energy: 240V, 50Hz, 4A & Negligible Resistance

In summary, assuming steady-state sinusoidal ac, a voltage of 240V at 50Hz applied to an inductor yields a current of 4A with negligible resistance. Using the equations E=0.5Li^2 and X=2*pi*f*L, the inductance is found to be 0.191H and the maximum stored energy is 1.528J. However, to find the maximum energy, we need to use the peak current, which yields a maximum energy of 3.06J.
jendrix

Homework Statement

Assuming steady-state sinusoidal ac.A voltage of 240V at 50Hz applied to an inductor yields a current of 4A.Assume negligible resistance.Find inductance, max stored energy.

Homework Equations

E=0.5Li^2

X=2*pi*f*L

The Attempt at a Solution

V/I=X Which I found to be 60

L=60/2*pi*f
L=0.191H

E=0.5*0.191*4^2
E=1.528J

However the answer given is 3.06J , which has left me confused.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The given voltage and current values are no doubt RMS values...

Likes 1 person
jendrix said:
assuming steady-state sinusoidal ac.a voltage of 240v at 50hz applied to an inductor yields a current of 4A. Assume negligible resistance. Find inductance, max stored energy.

Maximum energy is stored when maximum current flows through it.

Likes 1 person
Of course, I need to use I pk,

so E=0.5*0.191*(4*2^1/2)^2=3.06J

for your question! Your calculations for the inductance and stored energy are correct. However, the answer given may be taking into account the peak voltage and current values, rather than the RMS values. In this case, the peak voltage would be 339.4V (240V*√2) and the peak current would be 5.66A (4A*√2). Using these values, the maximum stored energy would indeed be 3.06J, as given in the answer. It is important to clarify whether the values given are RMS or peak values in order to accurately calculate the maximum stored energy.

What is the formula for calculating inductor maximum energy?

The formula for calculating inductor maximum energy is E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes.

What are the given values for the inductor in this calculation?

The given values for the inductor in this calculation are: voltage (V) = 240V, frequency (f) = 50Hz, current (I) = 4A, and negligible resistance.

How do you calculate the inductance (L) in this equation?

To calculate the inductance (L), you can rearrange the formula to L = 2 * E / I^2. You will need to know the energy and current values to solve for inductance.

What units should be used for energy and inductance in this calculation?

The units for energy in this calculation should be in joules (J) and the units for inductance should be in henries (H).

Can this formula be used for any circuit?

Yes, this formula can be used for any circuit as long as the frequency and current values are known, and the resistance is negligible.