1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic car collision, answers aren't matching up

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car A, having a mass of 1.30 x 10+3kg is traveling at 60.0 km/h due east when it collides with car B, having a mass of mass 1.70 x 10+3kg traveling at 40.0 km/h due west. If the collision is totally inelastic, find the final velocity of car B.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using the equation
    m1v⃗ 1+m2v⃗ 2=(m1+m2)vf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm getting 146,000 = (3000)Vf which I'm then dividing to get a velocity of 48.66. But the answer key is telling me 3.33km/h due east. I haven't taken physics in years and am super rusty so any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi BananasAreCool, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you take into account the fact that the cars are traveling in opposite directions?

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    That's what I was thinking was the problem, what is the equation for them moving in opposite directions?

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4
    I was just able to figure it out, I had to subtract instead of add the two so instead of getting 146,000 I got 10,000, which divided by 3,000 equals to 3.33km/h.

6. Sep 28, 2015 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yup. Well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted