Inelastic car collision, answers aren't matching up

In summary, car A with a mass of 1.30 x 10+3kg traveling at 60.0 km/h due east collides with car B with a mass of 1.70 x 10+3kg traveling at 40.0 km/h due west. The collision is totally inelastic and the final velocity of car B is 3.33 km/h due east. This is found by subtracting the velocities of the two cars and dividing by the combined mass.
BananasAreCool

Homework Statement

Car A, having a mass of 1.30 x 10+3kg is traveling at 60.0 km/h due east when it collides with car B, having a mass of mass 1.70 x 10+3kg traveling at 40.0 km/h due west. If the collision is totally inelastic, find the final velocity of car B.

Homework Equations

I'm using the equation
m1v⃗ 1+m2v⃗ 2=(m1+m2)vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting 146,000 = (3000)Vf which I'm then dividing to get a velocity of 48.66. But the answer key is telling me 3.33km/h due east. I haven't taken physics in years and am super rusty so any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BananasAreCool, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you take into account the fact that the cars are traveling in opposite directions?

gneill said:
Hi BananasAreCool, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you take into account the fact that the cars are traveling in opposite directions?

That's what I was thinking was the problem, what is the equation for them moving in opposite directions?

BananasAreCool said:
That's what I was thinking was the problem, what is the equation for them moving in opposite directions?
I was just able to figure it out, I had to subtract instead of add the two so instead of getting 146,000 I got 10,000, which divided by 3,000 equals to 3.33km/h.

BananasAreCool said:
I was just able to figure it out, I had to subtract instead of add the two so instead of getting 146,000 I got 10,000, which divided by 3,000 equals to 3.33km/h.
Yup. Well done.

1. What is an inelastic car collision?

An inelastic car collision is a type of collision where the kinetic energy of the colliding objects is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost to other forms, such as heat and sound.

2. How does an inelastic car collision differ from an elastic car collision?

In an elastic car collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the colliding objects bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together after the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic car collision?

The outcome of an inelastic car collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and speed of the colliding objects, the angle of collision, and the type of materials involved.

4. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic car collision?

Momentum is always conserved in any type of collision. In an inelastic car collision, some of the kinetic energy may be lost, but the total momentum of the colliding objects before and after the collision will be the same.

5. Why are my calculated answers not matching up with the actual results of an inelastic car collision?

There are several potential reasons for this discrepancy. It could be due to experimental error, inaccurate measurements, or not taking into account all the factors that may affect the outcome of the collision. It is important to carefully analyze and evaluate all the variables and calculations to determine the most accurate results.