Inelastic Collision of drunken driver

In summary, a drunken driver crashes into a parked car, causing a perfectly inelastic collision. The parked car leaves skid marks of 8.0 m in length. Using the equations for friction and momentum, the speed of the two cars after the collision is found to be 3.83 m/s. Assuming the driver of the moving car did not attempt to brake, the initial speed of the car is calculated to be 5.75 m/s. However, the answer may be expected in km/h instead of m/s.
rose3

Homework Statement

A drunken driver crashes his car into a parked car that has its brakes set. The two cars move off together (perfectly inelastic collision), with the locked wheels of the parked car leaving skid marks 8.0 m in length.
If the mass of the moving car is 2290kg and the mass of the parked car is 1150 kg how fast was the first car traveling when it hit the parked car?
Assume that the driver of the moving car made no attempt to brake and that the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.28.

Homework Equations

F=μN=μmg
ma=μmg
vf^2=vi^2+2ad
m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the speed of the two cars after the collision.
a=μg= (0.28)(-9.8)=-2.744 m/s^2
vi^2=vf^2-2ad = 0-2(-2.744)(8.0)
vi=6.626m/s
[/B]
I found the speed of the moving car using the momentum equation.
v1=(m2v2)/m1=((3440kg)(6.626))/2290kg=9.95m/s

Apparently this answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
rose3 said:

Homework Statement

A drunken driver crashes his car into a parked car that has its brakes set. The two cars move off together (perfectly inelastic collision), with the locked wheels of the parked car leaving skid marks 8.0 m in length.
If the mass of the moving car is 2290kg and the mass of the parked car is 1150 kg how fast was the first car traveling when it hit the parked car?
Assume that the driver of the moving car made no attempt to brake and that the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.28.

Homework Equations

F=μN=μmg
ma=μmg
vf^2=vi^2+2ad
m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the speed of the two cars after the collision.
a=μg= (0.28)(-9.8)=-2.744 m/s^2
vi^2=vf^2-2ad = 0-2(-2.744)(8.0)
vi=6.626m/s
[/B]
I found the speed of the moving car using the momentum equation.
v1=(m2v2)/m1=((3440kg)(6.626))/2290kg=9.95m/s

Apparently this answer is wrong.
Hi Rose, welcome to PF!
What does the sentence mean "Assume that the driver of the moving car made no attempt to brake" ?

ehild said:
Hi Rose, welcome to PF!
What does the sentence mean "Assume that the driver of the moving car made no attempt to brake" ?
I believe it just means that the speed of the moving car was constant before the collision, he didn't make an attempt to slow down. I'm not sure how this is supposed to affect the solution.

The coefficient of kinetic friction refers to sliding tyres. If the wheels of the car roll, there can be rolling resistance which is much smaller than the sliding friction, it can be ignored. The tyres slide if the brake is applied, but it happened to the parked car only.

ehild said:
The coefficient of kinetic friction refers to sliding tyres. If the wheels of the car roll, there can be rolling resistance which is much smaller than the sliding friction, it can be ignored. The tyres slide if the brake is applied, but it happened to the parked car only.
Ok so does this mean that friction works only on the parked object after the collision? How would this affect the final answer and how would I incorporate that into my calculations?

rose3 said:
Ok so does this mean that friction works only on the parked object after the collision? How would this affect the final answer and how would I incorporate that into my calculations?
Yes, the friction works only on the parked car. How much is that force of friction?
As the cars are in contact after the collision, that force acts on both of them, and slows them down.

Ok so I calculated the normal force to be -3155.6 N and then divided this number by 3440 kg(the combined mass) to find the acceleration which was -0.9173 m/s^2. I then used this value to find the speed of the cars after the collision (which was 3.83 m/s). I used this value in the momentum equation to find the initial speed of the car (5.75 m/s). Apparently this is also incorrect. What am I doing wrong? I only have one more chance to get the right answer.

Your answer is correct, but they may want the speed in km/h . In real life, m/s is not the usual unit for the speed of cars.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where objects stick together after impact and momentum is not conserved. In other words, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision is not the same.

2. How does alcohol affect the inelastic collision of a drunken driver?

Alcohol consumption can greatly affect the inelastic collision of a drunken driver. It can impair their judgment, reaction time, and coordination, making it more likely for them to cause an accident and have a more severe collision.

3. What are the consequences of an inelastic collision involving a drunken driver?

The consequences of an inelastic collision involving a drunken driver can be severe, including injuries or fatalities for themselves and others involved in the collision. They can also face legal consequences such as fines, jail time, and license suspension.

4. What factors contribute to the severity of an inelastic collision involving a drunken driver?

The severity of an inelastic collision involving a drunken driver can be influenced by various factors such as the speed and direction of the vehicles, the weight and size of the vehicles, and the use of safety equipment such as seatbelts and airbags.

5. How can inelastic collisions involving drunken drivers be prevented?

Inelastic collisions involving drunken drivers can be prevented by promoting responsible drinking habits and designated driving, enforcing strict penalties for driving under the influence, and implementing safety measures such as breathalyzers in vehicles and increased police presence on the roads.