Inelastic collision and the sum of internal forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy conservation in a system of two bodies undergoing an inelastic collision. It is noted that while the difference in momentum is conserved, the difference in mechanical energy is not, due to the presence of non-conservative forces acting on the bodies during the collision. The conversation also explores the question of why these forces do not cancel each other out, and how this relates to the concept of work done by non-conservative forces. The conversation ends with a discussion on how this concept applies to elastic collisions.
CGandC

Homework Statement

Suppose I have a system which contains two bodies m1 and m2 with initial velocities v1 and v2 , respecitvely.
they hurl toward each other and make an inelastic collision. such that they are now one body of mass
m1 + m2
upload_2017-9-17_14-35-17.png
upload_2017-9-17_14-35-24.png

I know that the difference in momentum is conserved before collision and after collision, so that: ΔP = 0

but during that time of collision , non-conservative force Fnc act on both bodies and thus the difference in mechanical energy before the collision and after the collision is not conserved ,so that : Eb - Ea = Wnc
Eb = mechanical energy after collision
Ea = mechanical energy before collision
Wnc = Work done by non conservative force
However , I have a problem at understanding why the energy is not conserved , If during the time of collision, both bodies have a non-conservative force ' Fnc ' acting upon them , and this force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction on each body ,then how can it be that these two forces do not cancel out each other ( the sum of internal forces equals to zero ) so that the total work done by the sum of non-conservative forces is zero? I say that Wnc = 0 since I suppose that Wnc = ∫( -Fnc + Fnc)dr = 0 ( the forces and dr are vectors , and the integral is path integral )

So since Wnc = 0 by the sum of internal forces , then the diffrence in mechanical energy should be conserved so that Eb - Ea = 0 , but this is not the case , why?
upload_2017-9-17_14-37-49.png

Homework Equations

Eb - Ea = Wnc

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
then how can it be that these two forces do not cancel out each other
The work done on one is ##\int \vec F.\vec{dr}##. For the other, using common mass centre as origin, both force and displacement vectors change sign, so the work done is the same sign for each, no cancellation.

haruspex said:
The work done on one is ##\int \vec F.\vec{dr}##. For the other, using common mass centre as origin, both force and displacement vectors change sign, so the work done is the same sign for each, no cancellation.
The way I thought about is, that for the sake of simplicity , the non conservative force displaces on the x-axis , so the work done by the non conservative forces 'Fnc' on each mass:
upload_2017-9-18_11-3-52.png

So from what I did in the sketch above I got that the total work done by the non-conservative forces Wnc is not zero , do you think this is correct?

CGandC said:
The way I thought about is, that for the sake of simplicity , the non conservative force displaces on the x-axis , so the work done by the non conservative forces 'Fnc' on each mass:
View attachment 211301
So from what I did in the sketch above I got that the total work done by the non-conservative forces Wnc is not zero , do you think this is correct?
That's the idea, but of course the A and B are not the same between your two pictures.

haruspex said:
That's the idea, but of course the A and B are not the same between your two pictures.
Ok , but if I now suppose that the collision is elastic , then how will Wnc = 0 ? ( if the collision is elastic then Fnc is conservative force, but still , Wnc is not 0 according to the derivation in the last image )

Bump

CGandC said:
Ok , but if I now suppose that the collision is elastic , then how will Wnc = 0 ? ( if the collision is elastic then Fnc is conservative force, but still , Wnc is not 0 according to the derivation in the last image )
I found your diagrams in post #3 a bit hard to interpret since, as I posted, the A and B in one cannot be the same as the A and B in the other.
It would be clearer to consider both approaching their common mass centre, C say.
By conservation of momentum, there will be an instant when each is stationary relative to the uniform motion of their common mass centre. If they now stick together, work has been lost, but if they spring apart again then some or all will be recovered. Only then do you discover whether the forces were conservative.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is not the same. Some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How is the sum of internal forces related to inelastic collisions?

The sum of internal forces in a system is related to inelastic collisions because it represents the total force that is exerted within the system during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of this force is used to deform the objects involved, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the sum of internal forces in an inelastic collision?

The sum of internal forces in an inelastic collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the materials they are made of. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater sum of internal forces, and more elastic materials will experience less deformation and thus have lower internal forces.

4. How is the sum of internal forces calculated?

The sum of internal forces can be calculated by using the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. By calculating the change in momentum of each object involved and summing them together, the total sum of internal forces can be determined.

5. Can the sum of internal forces be zero in an inelastic collision?

No, the sum of internal forces cannot be zero in an inelastic collision. This is because some of the force is used to deform the objects and is not conserved. However, in an elastic collision, where kinetic energy is conserved, the sum of internal forces can be zero.