Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic collision for equal masses

Tags:
  1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    Assume that we have two equal masses that collide horizontally, where one is initially at rest. From the conservation of linear momentum, we have
    ##P_0 = P##
    ##mv_{10} = mv_{1} + mv_{2}##
    ##v_{10} = v_{1} + v_{2}##

Assuming we have an initial velocity, it would seem as though the final velocity of mass 1 could add with the final velocity of mass 2 in order to equal the initial velocity. However, this is not the case because collisions don't act randomly like that. Therefore, what am I missing? I know that in elastic collisions, ##v_{10} = v_{2}## because of the additional constraint posed by the conservation of mechanical energy, but I claimed that this was an inelastic collision. Is there some constraint that I am missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Equivocating on the variable ##m## ?

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3
    You might need to elaborate...

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4
    The problem is not fully specified. There are two unknowns, v1 and v2, and only one equation. One more condition comes from either stating that it is a completely inelastic collision,or stating the percentage of kinetic energy lost. Either one will give the necessary second condition.

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5
    That answers my question. Thanks.

7. Nov 12, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

In a completely inelastic collision, the objects "stick together", which means that their velocities are equal after the collision.

8. Nov 12, 2015 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One way to get a clear picture is to change coordinates to a center of mass system. In that case, after collision, neither object will be moving when the collision is completely inelastic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook