Inelastic collision with unknown speeds but known sum of magnitudes

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Quant ummm?
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exchange Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Quant ummm?
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I am dealing with an inelastic, collinear momentum exchange of the form:

m1v1+m2v2=m1u1+m2u2

where m1 & m2 are known.

v1 & v2 are both 0

u1 & u2 are both unknown, however

MOD(u1)+MOD(u2) is known (ie the sum of modulus of each speed, I don't know how to do straight brackets here...)

which initial speed is regarded as + or - is irrelevant (to me).

I know that the exact speeds for u1 & u2 can be calculated, but I can't quite get me head around how (I'm more used to knowing one or the other, not their sum).

Although I can find the answer by gradually increasing one of the values on a spreadsheet, I'd like to see the actual solution. I'm guessing it can be solved either simultaneously or with a bit of calculus, but I'm not very good and working these things out.

Any help would be much appreciated.



p.s. I know this looks like homework, but its not. It really does though doesn't it. Real world though, honest.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since v1 and v2 are both 0, you immediately have:
u1=-[m2/m1]u2

You the substitute into your expression for|u1| + |u2| to get |u1|

u1 = the result with a sign ambiguity.
 
[tex]m_{1}u_{1}+m_{2}u_{2}=0[/tex] can be rearragned to [tex]\frac{u_{1}}{u_{2}}=-\frac{m_2}{m_1}[/tex]and taken the modulus we get [tex]\frac{|u_{1}|}{|u_{2}|}=\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}}[/tex]
Now, Let's call [tex]|u_{1}|+|u_{2}|=x[/tex] where x is known, and if we divide by [tex]|u_{2}|[/tex] and rearrange we get [tex]\frac{|u_{1}|}{|u_{2}|}=\frac{x}{|u_{2}|}-1[/tex]
Therefore [tex]\frac{x}{|u_{2}|}-1=\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}}[/tex] and rearragning for [tex]u_{2}[/tex] we get [tex]|u_{2}|=\frac{m_{1}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}x[/tex] and similarly for [tex]|u_{1}|=\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}x[/tex]
 
That's brilliant, thank you very much for your help.