Inelastic Collisions and ratio of their masses

In summary, two objects with the same speed collide inelastically, resulting in a loss of half the initial kinetic energy. In order to find the ratio of their masses, the equation 0.5*m1*v1^2 + 0.5*m2*v2^2 = (0.5*(m1+m2)*vf^2)*0.5 can be used, where vf is the final velocity. Solving for m1/m2 will result in a ratio, not an actual value.
sleepingarmy

Homework Statement

Two objects moving in opposite directions with the same speed undergo a totally inelastic collision, and half the initial kinetic energy is lost. Find the ratio of their masses, m1/m2.

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)vf
The objects are moving in opposite directions with the same speed, so v1=-v2=v

The Attempt at a Solution

The part that gets me is the part that says half the kinetic energy is lost. Could someone explain how I factor that into the equations? If I just solve for m1/m2, plugging in 1/2v for vf(I don't know if that's right) I get 3, which is not the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the collision were perfectly elastic, kinetic energy is conserved. But it is totally inelastic and 1/2 of the energy is lost. Therefore you can say:

.5 * m1 * v1^2 + .5 * m2 * v2^2 = (.5 * (m1 + m2)* vf^2) * .5

Then start cranking on the algebra to get m1/m2.

That makes sense. However, when I solve for m1/m2 I get (.5vf^2 + v^20/(v^2-.5vf^2) when I need an actual ratio.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How is the ratio of masses related to inelastic collisions?

The ratio of masses is an important factor in determining the outcome of an inelastic collision. In general, the larger the mass ratio between the two objects, the more energy will be transferred from the larger object to the smaller object during the collision.

3. Can the ratio of masses affect the final velocities of the objects?

Yes, the ratio of masses can significantly impact the final velocities of the objects in an inelastic collision. The larger the mass of an object, the slower its final velocity will be compared to the smaller object.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution relate to inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In inelastic collisions, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, meaning that some kinetic energy is lost. The lower the coefficient of restitution, the more inelastic the collision is.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some common examples of inelastic collisions include car accidents, billiard balls colliding on a pool table, and a baseball hitting a bat. In each of these scenarios, kinetic energy is lost due to the objects' deformation or friction during the collision.