Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inequalities between a real number and an imaginary number

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm just having a problem with a step that's part of a larger problem. Specifically, if I have:

[itex]\sqrt{2}i\leq\sqrt{2}[/itex]

I'm not sure what this actually means. If I ignore the i, each side is the same distance from the origin if I imagine both points on a graph, implying that both sides are equal. But I don't know whether this is a correct interpretation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2
    I don't think without a definition of ##\le## for complex numbers, that means anything, and there isn't a generally accepted one. Perhaps try to solve your problem a different way, or try to figure out what ##\le## means in the context of this problem.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

As whovian said, the set of complex numbers is NOT an ordered field. Perhaps you intended absolute values? [itex]\left|\sqrt{2}i\right|= \sqrt{2}[/itex].

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    Sorry, yes, I forgot to include the absolute value signs! But it turns out I got a previous step in the problem wrong, anyway...so I'll just post a different topic on the whole thing. Thanks for the replies though :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook