1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalities between a real number and an imaginary number

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm just having a problem with a step that's part of a larger problem. Specifically, if I have:

[itex]\sqrt{2}i\leq\sqrt{2}[/itex]

I'm not sure what this actually means. If I ignore the i, each side is the same distance from the origin if I imagine both points on a graph, implying that both sides are equal. But I don't know whether this is a correct interpretation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2
    I don't think without a definition of ##\le## for complex numbers, that means anything, and there isn't a generally accepted one. Perhaps try to solve your problem a different way, or try to figure out what ##\le## means in the context of this problem.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As whovian said, the set of complex numbers is NOT an ordered field. Perhaps you intended absolute values? [itex]\left|\sqrt{2}i\right|= \sqrt{2}[/itex].

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    Sorry, yes, I forgot to include the absolute value signs! But it turns out I got a previous step in the problem wrong, anyway...so I'll just post a different topic on the whole thing. Thanks for the replies though :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook