Inequalities find the set of values of x

  • Thread starter Thread starter synkk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequalities Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
synkk
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
find the set of values of x for which [tex]2x > \dfrac{3x + 1}{x+1}[/tex] done this and got [tex]-1<x<-0.5, x > 1[/tex]

b) find the set of inequalities where

[tex]2sint > \dfrac{3sint + 1}{sint + 1}[/tex] where [tex]-\pi < t < \pi[/tex]

first I found the set values of t suitable in the range for -1,-0.5,1 which I got to be as [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}, - \frac{\pi}{6}, - \frac{5\pi}{6}, \frac{pi}{2}[/tex] and hence getting [tex]\frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}, t > \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

however I'm not sure if it is correct, and if it isn't I don't know how else to do it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
find the set of values of x for which [tex]2x > \dfrac{3x + 1}{x+1}[/tex] done this and got [tex]-1<x<-0.5, x > 1[/tex]
b) find the set of inequalities where
[tex]2sint > \dfrac{3sint + 1}{sint + 1}[/tex] where [tex]-\pi < t < \pi[/tex]
first I found the set values of t suitable in the range for -1,-0.5,1 which I got to be as [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}, - \frac{\pi}{6}, - \frac{5\pi}{6}, \frac{pi}{2}[/tex] and hence getting [tex]\frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}, t > \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
however I'm not sure if it is correct, and if it isn't I don't know how else to do it.
You did the first part correctly; the part where you solved for x.

You can directly substitute sin(t) for x in that result.

[itex]\displaystyle -1<\sin(t)<-0.5\,,\ \sin(t)>1[/itex]

I sin(t) ever greater than 1 ?
 
No it's not, also are the inequalities supposed to be in terms of t?
 
synkk said:
No it's not, also are the inequalities supposed to be in terms of t?

Yes. Your final answer should be in terms of t, but you can eliminate sin(t) > 1, from contributing anything to the solution.
 
SammyS said:
Yes. Your final answer should be in terms of t, but you can eliminate sin(t) > 1, from contributing anything to the solution.

[tex]\frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}[/tex]

is that the correct answer then?
 
synkk said:
[tex]\frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}[/tex]

is that the correct answer then?
Looks good !