Inequalities find the set of values of x

In summary, the set of inequalities for t where 2sint > \frac{3sint + 1}{sint + 1} and -\pi < t < \pi is \frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6} and -\frac{\pi}{2} < t < \frac{\pi}{2}.
synkk
find the set of values of x for which [tex] 2x > \dfrac{3x + 1}{x+1} [/tex] done this and got [tex] -1<x<-0.5, x > 1 [/tex]

b) find the set of inequalities where

[tex] 2sint > \dfrac{3sint + 1}{sint + 1} [/tex] where [tex] -\pi < t < \pi [/tex]

first I found the set values of t suitable in the range for -1,-0.5,1 which I got to be as [tex] -\frac{\pi}{2}, - \frac{\pi}{6}, - \frac{5\pi}{6}, \frac{pi}{2} [/tex] and hence getting [tex] \frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}, t > \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

however I'm not sure if it is correct, and if it isn't I don't know how else to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
find the set of values of x for which [tex] 2x > \dfrac{3x + 1}{x+1} [/tex] done this and got [tex] -1<x<-0.5, x > 1 [/tex]
b) find the set of inequalities where
[tex] 2sint > \dfrac{3sint + 1}{sint + 1} [/tex] where [tex] -\pi < t < \pi [/tex]
first I found the set values of t suitable in the range for -1,-0.5,1 which I got to be as [tex] -\frac{\pi}{2}, - \frac{\pi}{6}, - \frac{5\pi}{6}, \frac{pi}{2} [/tex] and hence getting [tex] \frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6}, t > \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
however I'm not sure if it is correct, and if it isn't I don't know how else to do it.
You did the first part correctly; the part where you solved for x.

You can directly substitute sin(t) for x in that result.

[itex]\displaystyle -1<\sin(t)<-0.5\,,\ \sin(t)>1[/itex]

I sin(t) ever greater than 1 ?

No it's not, also are the inequalities supposed to be in terms of t?

synkk said:
No it's not, also are the inequalities supposed to be in terms of t?

Yes. Your final answer should be in terms of t, but you can eliminate sin(t) > 1, from contributing anything to the solution.

SammyS said:
Yes. Your final answer should be in terms of t, but you can eliminate sin(t) > 1, from contributing anything to the solution.

[tex] \frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6} [/tex]

is that the correct answer then?

synkk said:
[tex] \frac{-5\pi}{6} < t < \frac{-\pi}{6} [/tex]

is that the correct answer then?
Looks good !

SammyS said:
Looks good !

Thanks!

What does it mean to find the set of values of x for an inequality?

When asked to find the set of values of x for an inequality, it means to determine all possible values of x that make the inequality true. This may involve solving the inequality algebraically or graphically.

What is the difference between solving for x in an equation and finding the set of values of x in an inequality?

The main difference between solving for x in an equation and finding the set of values of x in an inequality is that equations have one specific solution, while inequalities have a range of possible solutions. Inequality solutions can include multiple values or a range of values that make the inequality true, rather than just one specific value.

How do you graph inequalities to find the set of values of x?

To graph an inequality and find the set of values of x, you will need to plot the boundary line and then shade the region that satisfies the inequality. The boundary line is typically dotted for strict inequalities (>, <) and solid for non-strict inequalities (≥, ≤). The shaded region will represent the set of values of x that make the inequality true.

What are the key steps to solving an inequality and finding the set of values of x?

The key steps to solving an inequality and finding the set of values of x include: 1) Simplifying the inequality by combining like terms and isolating the variable on one side, 2) Determining the appropriate inequality symbol based on the direction of the inequality, 3) Graphing the inequality to visualize the solution, and 4) Writing the solution as an interval or set notation.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when finding the set of values of x for an inequality?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when finding the set of values of x for an inequality include: 1) Forgetting to switch the direction of the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, 2) Not graphing the boundary line correctly, 3) Misinterpreting the solution as a single value instead of a range of values, and 4) Forgetting to include the end points of the solution when using interval notation.