Inequality from a continuity exercise

In summary: But this doesn't show that ##|x-x_0|\leq|f(x)-f(x_0)|/5## for ##|x-x_0|<\delta##, which is what I am asking about.
GodfreyHW
I am reading from Courant's book. He gave an example of the continuity of ##f(x)=5x+3## by finding ##\delta=\epsilon/5##. He then said that ##|x-x_0|## does not exceed ##|y-y_0|/5##, but I don't see how he came up with this inequality.
I know that ##|x-x_0|<\epsilon/5##, and that ##|y-y_0|<\epsilon\Leftrightarrow|y-y_0|/5<\epsilon/5##, but I don't think that that suffices to conclude ##|x-x_0|\leq|y-y_0|/5##.
... indeed ##|x-x_0|## is sufficiently small if it does not exceed one-fifth of the value of ##|y-y_0|##.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
GodfreyHW said:
I am reading from Courant's book. He gave an example of the continuity of ##f(x)=5x+3## by finding ##\delta=\epsilon/5##. He then said that ##|x-x_0|## does not exceed ##|y-y_0|/5##, but I don't see how he came up with this inequality.
I know that ##|x-x_0|<\epsilon/5##, and that ##|y-y_0|<\epsilon\Leftrightarrow|y-y_0|/5<\epsilon/5##, but I don't think that that suffices to conclude ##|x-x_0|\leq|y-y_0|/5##.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
I'm not sure what you are doing here. Can you check what you have written, as it looks confused?

What you want to show is that ##|x - x_0| < \epsilon/5 \ \Rightarrow \ |f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon##. And, given the linearity of ##f## that looks like straightforward?

It is unclear from your post what ##y_0## is. I'm guessing you want to show that ##f## is continuous at ##x_0## and ##f(x_0) = y_0##?

@PeroK @Math_QED no, I don't want to prove ##f##'s continuity, rather I wanted to verify the author's claim that:
... indeed ##|x-x_0|## is sufficiently small if it does not exceed one-fifth of the value of ##|y-y_0|##.
I can see that ##|x-x_0|=|y-y_0|/5##, and this makes the phrase "is sufficiently small if it does not exceed" a bit confusing. The equality always hold, no matter how small is ##|x-x_0|##, so the only way I could make sense of this is if the author is trying to say that ##|x-x_0|\leq|y-y_0|/5## is true for ##f## to be continuous.

GodfreyHW said:
@PeroK @Math_QED no, I don't want to prove ##f##'s continuity, rather I wanted to verify the author's claim that:

I can see that ##|x-x_0|=|y-y_0|/5##, and this makes the phrase "is sufficiently small if it does not exceed" a bit confusing. The equality always hold, no matter how small is ##|x-x_0|##, so the only way I could make sense of this is if the author is trying to say that ##|x-x_0|\leq|y-y_0|/5## is true for ##f## to be continuous.

Perhaps he hasn't phrased it very well. If you forget what the author says, can you see for yourself how the continuity of ##f## is proved?

GodfreyHW said:

$$|x-x_0| <\delta \implies |y-y_0| = |f(x)-f(x_0)| = |5x+3-(5x_0+3)| = 5|x-x_0|< 5\delta$$

This suggest taking ##\delta = \epsilon/5## in an ##\epsilon-\delta## proof.

PeroK said:
Perhaps he hasn't phrased it very well. If you forget what the author says, can you see for yourself how the continuity of ##f## is proved?
Yes, I do. ##|f(x)-f(x_0)|=5|x-x_0|<\epsilon##, and so we have ##\delta=\epsilon/5##.
Math_QED said:
$$|x-x_0| <\delta \implies |y-y_0| = |f(x)-f(x_0)| = |5x+3-(5x_0+3)| = 5|x-x_0|< 5\delta$$

This suggest taking ##\delta = \epsilon/5## in an ##\epsilon-\delta## proof.
But this doesn't show that ##|x-x_0|\leq|f(x)-f(x_0)|/5## for ##|x-x_0|<\delta##, which is what I am asking about. I really do understand the continuity proof, trust me!

GodfreyHW said:
I really do understand the continuity proof, trust me!

Why worry if the author got into a verbal tangle? It happens.

Likes GodfreyHW and member 587159
GodfreyHW said:
But this doesn't show that ##|x-x_0|\leq|f(x)-f(x_0)|/5## for ##|x-x_0|<\delta##

I'm not sure what you are after:
$$\frac{|f(x)-f(x_0)|}{5} = \frac{5|x-x_0|}{5}= |x-x_0|$$

and the inequality you are looking for so hard is always true (it is even equality!) regardless of the fact that ##|x-x_0|## is small.

I agree with @PeroK that the author was probably sloppy and yes it happens. I'm currently reading an analysis book full of mistakes.

Likes GodfreyHW
Thank you both. @Math_QED and @PeroK
PeroK said:
Why worry if the author got into a verbal tangle? It happens.
Well, I am still learning, and when I come upon stuff like this, I cannot help but feel frustrated for not understanding. And I don't really trust my knowledge enough at this point to judge by myself that such and such is a typo/mistake or not.

Likes PeroK

1. What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups. It can manifest in various forms such as income inequality, wealth inequality, or social inequality.

2. How is inequality measured?

Inequality is commonly measured using the Gini coefficient, which is a statistical measure of the distribution of income or wealth within a population. It ranges from 0 (perfect equality) to 1 (perfect inequality).

3. What are the consequences of inequality?

Inequality can have significant consequences on individuals and societies. It can lead to social and economic instability, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate poverty and social exclusion.

4. What are some factors that contribute to inequality?

There are various factors that contribute to inequality, including historical and structural factors, discrimination, unequal access to education and healthcare, and unequal distribution of resources and opportunities.

5. How can we address inequality?

Addressing inequality requires a multi-faceted approach that involves policies and initiatives to promote equal opportunities, reduce discrimination, and redistribute resources. This can include implementing progressive taxation, providing access to education and healthcare, and promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace.