Inequality question (when fraction < zero)

In summary, to solve for t in the given equation, [-2(t2+1) / 9(t2-1)] < 0, you can factor the denominator to get 9(t-1)(t+1) and analyze the signs of the factors. The only places where the denominator changes signs are at 1 and -1. By choosing values such as -2, 0, and 2, you can determine the sign of the fraction in the intervals around 1 and -1. This method allows you to sketch the solution for t and determine the values for t as -inf<t<-1 and 1<t<inf.
page13

Homework Statement

Solve for t:

[-2(t2+1) / 9(t2-1)] < 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is -inf<t<-1 and 1<t<inf, but how do I show the calculation to get that answer? When I tried, I narrowed it down to t<root-1, but that's not possible (without complex numbers) and doesn't match the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring the denominator and analyzing the signs of the factors.

So 9(t-1)(t+1), but what do I deduce from that?

page13 said:
So 9(t-1)(t+1), but what do I deduce from that?

The sign of a fraction is determined by the signs of its factors. You have a - in front of the fraction and the t2 + 1is always positive. The only places where the denominator changes signs are at 1 and -1. So figure out the signs everywhere else. Wherever you have an even number of negative signs your fraction is negative and an odd number makes it positive.

Ah OK. So it's more by inspection. I would factor as we have done, and then I'd choose for example -2, 0 and 2 and determine the sign giving me the interval values around 1 and -1, correct?

That's the idea. Since those factors can only change sign at their roots, if you check the values at a point on each subinterval you will know the signs on the intervals.

Awesome. Thanks. Now I can sketch this parametric.

1. What is inequality when the fraction is less than zero?

Inequality when the fraction is less than zero refers to a situation where the numerator (top number) is smaller than the denominator (bottom number) in a fraction. This results in a negative fraction, which indicates that the value is less than zero.

2. How is inequality with fractions less than zero represented?

Inequality with fractions less than zero is represented using the "less than" symbol (<) with a line underneath to indicate that the fraction is negative. For example, -1/2 < 0 represents an inequality with a negative fraction.

3. What does a negative fraction in an inequality indicate?

A negative fraction in an inequality indicates that the value represented by the fraction is less than zero. This means that the numerator is smaller than the denominator, resulting in a negative value.

4. Can a negative fraction be simplified?

Yes, a negative fraction can be simplified by dividing both the numerator and denominator by the greatest common factor (GCF). This will result in a simplified fraction that still represents a value less than zero.

5. How is inequality with fractions less than zero used in real life?

Inequality with fractions less than zero is used in many real-life situations, such as measuring temperature below zero, calculating debt or money owed, and representing negative percentages. It is also used in mathematical equations and inequalities to compare values that are less than zero.