1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inequality question (when fraction < zero)

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for t:

[-2(t2+1) / 9(t2-1)] < 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is -inf<t<-1 and 1<t<inf, but how do I show the calculation to get that answer? When I tried, I narrowed it down to t<root-1, but that's not possible (without complex numbers) and doesn't match the answer???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try factoring the denominator and analyzing the signs of the factors.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    So 9(t-1)(t+1), but what do I deduce from that?

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sign of a fraction is determined by the signs of its factors. You have a - in front of the fraction and the t2 + 1is always positive. The only places where the denominator changes signs are at 1 and -1. So figure out the signs everywhere else. Wherever you have an even number of negative signs your fraction is negative and an odd number makes it positive.

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    Ah OK. So it's more by inspection. I would factor as we have done, and then I'd choose for example -2, 0 and 2 and determine the sign giving me the interval values around 1 and -1, correct?

7. Jan 19, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the idea. Since those factors can only change sign at their roots, if you check the values at a point on each subinterval you will know the signs on the intervals.

8. Jan 19, 2010 #7
    Awesome. Thanks. Now I can sketch this parametric.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook