1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show two inequalities - (context gamma function converges)

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm not after another proof.
    I've just got a couple of inequalities I don't know how to show when following a given proof in my book.

These are:

Q1) ## 0\leq x \leq 1 \implies x^{t-1} e^{-x} \leq x^{t-1} ##

So this is obvioulsy true, however I think I'm being dumb because surely this is true for all ##x##

(the integral over the gamma function is split into ##\int ^{\infty} _1 ## and ## \int^1_0 ##) and so this inequality is used in the latter, but I don't see why it can't be used in the former, e.g ##2^{t-1}/e^{2} \leq 2^{t-1} ## is also true isn't it? and as ## x \to \infty ## this is also true, because the LHS ## \to 0 ##..

Q2) that ##x^{t-1}e^{-x}\leq x^{-x/2}##, for ##x \geq 1##
    I am unsure how to show this, or understand why it holds,

and then secondly I need to show that ##x^{t-1}e^{-x}\leq x^{-x/2} \iff x^{t-1}\leq e^{x/2}##

I can write ## x^{-x/2} = e^{(-x/2) ln (x) } ##
    I am unsure what to do next or whether this helps

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

see above

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

[tex]\int_1^R x^{t-1}\,dx = \begin{cases} \ln R & t = 0, \\
    \frac{R^t - 1}{t} & t \neq 0\end{cases}.[/tex] For [itex]t \geq 0[/itex] these do not converge as [itex]R \to \infty[/itex]. You're trying to prove convergence so this bound is of no assistance.

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3
    thank you, makes sense !
    Q2 anyone?

5. Jan 18, 2017 #4
    bump

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted