1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling fractional exponents out of an expression

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find critical numbers of the function: F(x)=t^3/4 - 2t^1/4
    Derivative I got: F'(x)=3/4 t^-1/4 - 1/2 t^-3/4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the derivative and I understand I must pull out a t in order to find critical numbers, and run across this issue of manipulating fractional exponents too often. How do I go about this? Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please post questions about calculus problems in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalculus section. I have moved your post.
    First off -- your two functions are functions of t, not x, so they should be written as F(t) and F'(t).

Rewrite the derivative so that it is a product rather than a sum. In this case, factor t^(-3/4) out of both terms.

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3
    So from this I get F'(t)= t^-3/4 (3/4t^1/2 - 1/2)

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's correct, but even better is F'(t) = (1/4)t^(-3/4)[3t^(1/2) - 2)
    Note that when you write exponents as inline text, t^-3/4 is usually interpreted as ##\frac{t^{-3}} 4##, using the usual rules of precedence.

This site supports the use of LaTeX (see https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/ under the INFO menu, in Help/How-to articles).
    Using LaTeX, the derivative looks like this:
    $$F'(t) = \frac 1 4 t^{-3/4}(3t^{1/2} - 2)$$

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you wrote means ##F = \frac{1}{4} t^3 - \frac{2}{4} t^1##. If you mean ##F = t^{3/4} - 2 t^{1/4}##, then you must use parentheses (or else use LaTeX, as I just did). With parentheses you would have F = t^(3/4) - 2 t^(1/4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted