1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensor of a crosshanger

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    I've done many exercises about inertia tensors of 3D bodies and sticks but now I have this exercise and I got stuck without any idea of how to do the integration to compute the inertia tensor. The statement is this:

"Compute the inertia tensor of a cross-hanger consisting of 3 thin and linear wires, with mass M and lenght L, glued perpendicularly by their central parts which is placed at (x,y,z)=(0,0,0)."​

As you know, the inertia tensor (or matrix) for an homogeneous body is constructed from

[itex]I_{ij}=\int\rho(\delta_{ij}\sum_{k}x_{k}^{2}-x_{i}x_{j})dV[/itex]

So that, for example,

[itex]I_{11}=\int\rho(x_{2}^{2}+x_{3}^{2})dV[/itex]

If it was a cube for example we could integrate the expression effortlessly with the integral limits in the 3 variables going from [itex]-L/2[/itex] to [itex]L/2[/itex]. But with this shape I'm not sure how to do it. Can you help me with the integration? Should I fix one variable at 0 and integrate the others?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2
    The inertia tensor of a body that consists of multiple parts is the sum of the inertia tensors of the parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted