1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inferential Statistics Problem

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Through a sample, a party A wants to determine the percentage p of the voters, who voted for party A. They want to determine p with a 90% certainty to 5%. How many people do they need to survey?
    Let X be the amount of party-A-voters from n surveyed people.

I don't need the solution for this, since it is already solved step-by-step in the textbook. I just don't understand the first step and am looking for an explanation.

They say that through the given information you can calculate this:

[itex]P(|\frac{X}{N}-p|\leq0.05)\geq0.90[/itex]

Afterwards, they rearange it to

[itex]P(|\frac{X-np}{\sigma}|\leq\frac{0.05n}{\sigma})\geq0.90[/itex]

and solve for z.

The last part I understand, but I don't understand how they infere from the information to the first statement.

I don't really have much experience in stats, and I have trouble understanding how to get from the information given to the first equation.

Thank you in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

What happens to the inequality
    [tex]
    \left| \frac{X}{N} - p \, \right| \le 0.05
    [/tex]

when you multiply both sides by the (positive, which is why the inequality doesn't change direction) value
    [tex]
    \frac N \sigma
    [/tex]

4. Jan 6, 2014 #3
    I understand how they get from the first to the second equation. I don't understand how they get the first equation from the information given.

5. Jan 6, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The quantity ##X/N## is the measured proportion, while ##p## is the theoretical proportion. You want the difference between these two proportions to be ≤ 0.05 with high probability (that is, with probability at least 0.9). Also: use either the symbol ##N## or the symbol ##n##, but not both in the same problem (as you have done). That can cause confusion and loss of marks, etc.

6. Jan 7, 2014 #5
    I see now, thank you.

What I still don't fully understand is how to make the first equation in such examples.
    I now understand how they got to it in this particular example, but how do I even approach such a problem? Where do I start? I somehow wouldn't have thought of taking the distance between those two.
    Can you help me with that? :)

7. Jan 7, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure if this helps, but it can be generalized a little.
    There is some property of the distribution, s, that you want to estimate. (In the present case it's p.) You have a procedure for estimating it from sample data, and the procedure produces the estimate ##\hat s##. You want the probability of the estimate being within ε of s to exceed some threshold probability τ. Algebraically, ##P[|\hat s - s| < \epsilon] > \tau##.
    In the OP, the assumption is that the estimate for p will be X/N.

8. Jan 7, 2014 #7
    Thank you, this helps a lot :)

Any tips on how to best approach such problems? What should I look out for? How do I start best?

9. Jan 7, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't think of anything I can add to what I wrote before. It's a matter of understanding what the objective is (finding the probability distribution of the error in an estimate for a parameter of another distribution) and expressing that in algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted