1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite geometric series problem

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following infinite geometric series: 1 + (2x/3) + (2x/3)^2 + (2x/3)^3 + ....

for what values of x does the series converge?

2. Relevant equations

i don't know what converge means, i guessed it was for what vlaues does the geometric series is infinite but i am not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    well remember that in order for a geometric series to converge all its terms should be greater than -1 and smaller than 1? do u know what to do now?
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4
    well, I'm going through this type of math, now there is a formula for geometric series, it is like this: (first term) / (1-r)

you always want to plug the first term in the top of the equation, in your case it looks like 1.
  6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    Well, he is looking for something else, he just needs to find the interval of x for which the series converges.
  7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    thank you so much for that hint it really cleared everything! the web pages kept talking aobut limitations...i remebered now! thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?