Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Loops - Symbolic Computer & The Human Mind

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    Im curious if anyone knows if it is theoretically possible to place the human mind into an infinite loop in a similar manner to the placing an electronic computer into one.

If not, why? What is principle physical/neurological process that prevents this from occuring?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

The human brain isn't a sequential (uni-processor) machine - so there's not exactly a single place in the brain that can enter a loop and hold up everything else. There may be localized loops in the brain, but these probably won't be infinite either - i think that the neurons in such a local infinite looping network would eventually die since they would likely not be very connected.

4. Feb 9, 2008 #3
    Theoretically, yes. Practically no.

Now just follow what I say:

Start counting from zero, unless you reach 100 and then again start counting from zero and then reach 100 and then again.............

Try to do it, I bet a mentally stable person would refuse to do that more than twice or thrice.:)

Computers can do that because they are just semiconductors, processors and stuff fixed on the circuit board. They don't stop it unless they get melted due to overheating.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #4
    There are examples where people fall into concious behavioural patterns, addictions and habbits are examples i suppose (but there are others).
    However i was also thinking if it was subconcious and/or not something that could be decided on.

Neuron death is something i was expecting to happen theoretically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?