Infinite Series Comparison Tests

In summary: So, if you have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 terms in the series, the limit of ln(x)^2/x is going to be 2. However, if you only have 1, 2, 3 terms, the limit will be 1.5. So, in the first case, the limit is greater, but in the second case, the limit is equal. Ahh, wonderful. I wrote that down earlier, but I wasn't sure if it would constitute proof to my professor. Thanks for your help.Ahh, wonderful. I wrote that down earlier, but I wasn't sure if it would constitute proof to my professor.
Marcivo
Hello, folks. This happens to be my first post here, and I've come with a question from a problem set in my textbook.

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following series converges or diverges. Give reasons for your answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{1}{ln(n)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I've taken a number of approaches toward this problem, but, so far, none of them has provided even an incorrect solution. The integral test fails automatically because the expression is nonintegrable; both the ratio and root tests fail because the solution is equal to 1; I've compared it to [tex]\frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], as my b_n's, but both are inconclusive by the limit comparison test. The one thing I can think of that would prove the series to be divergent is to say that 1/ln(x)^2 is greater than 1/x, but is this a safe assumption to make?

I went to my professor today, but was just turned away after being told to "apply integration by parts" to the integral of 1/ln(x)^2...which, of course, doesn't work. So, my question is, does anyone here suggest a more solid comparison than 1/x, and, if not, how could I prove that 1/x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/ln(x)^p for all p [tex]\geq[/tex] 2?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Compare with 1/x. You don't have to assume ln(x)^2<x for sufficiently large x. You can prove it. Look at the limit of ln(x)^2/x as x->infinity. Use l'Hopital.

Ahh, wonderful. I wrote that down earlier, but I wasn't sure if it would constitute proof to my professor. Thanks for your help.

Marcivo said:
Ahh, wonderful. I wrote that down earlier, but I wasn't sure if it would constitute proof to my professor. Thanks for your help.

The thing is that for the comparison test, you can leave out any finite number of terms in the series. So it only counts what the relation between the two series is in the large n limit.

What is an infinite series comparison test?

An infinite series comparison test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. It is based on the idea that if the terms of one series are always smaller than the terms of another series, then the first series must also converge if the second one does.

What are the different types of infinite series comparison tests?

There are three main types of infinite series comparison tests: the direct comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the ratio comparison test. The direct comparison test compares the terms of two series directly, while the limit comparison test uses the limit of the ratio of the terms of the two series. The ratio comparison test compares the terms of two series using the ratio of their terms.

When should I use an infinite series comparison test?

Infinite series comparison tests are useful when the terms of the series cannot be easily evaluated or when other tests, such as the integral test or the root test, do not apply. They are especially helpful when dealing with series that have alternating signs or when the terms of the series involve factorials or exponential functions.

What is the difference between convergence and absolute convergence?

A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms approaches infinity. Absolute convergence, on the other hand, requires that the series of the absolute values of the terms converges. In other words, a series can converge but not absolutely converge if the sum of the absolute values of the terms diverges.

What are some common mistakes when using infinite series comparison tests?

One common mistake is assuming that the terms of the series being compared must always be larger or smaller than the terms of the known series. This is not always the case, as the terms may alternate in sign. Another mistake is forgetting to take the absolute value of the terms when using the ratio comparison test. It is also important to make sure that the known series being used for comparison is actually convergent or divergent.