Infinite Series familiar function

In summary, the function f(x) has a power series centered at 0 with the first four non-zero terms being f(x) - af(x) + a^2f(x) - a^3f(x). To write f(x) as a familiar function in terms of a, we can use the function ekx. The LaGrange Remainder can be used to determine the number of terms necessary to approximate f(0.2) with an error less than 0.001.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

Let f(x) be a function with the following properties.

i. f(0) = 1

ii. For all integers n [tex]\geq[/tex] 0, the 0, the nth derivative, f (n)(x) = (-1)nanf(x), where a > 0 and a [tex]\neq[/tex] 1.

a.) Write the first four non-zero terms of the power series of f(x) centered at zero, in terms of a.

b.) Write f(x) as a familiar function in terms of a.

c.) How many terms of the power series are necessary to approximate f(0.2) with an error less than 0.001 with a = 2?

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) Here is my work for:
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex] (-1)nanf(x) = (-1)0a0f(x) + (-1)af(x) + (-1)2a2f(x) + (-1)3a3f(x)

= f(x) - af(x) + a2f(x) - a3f(x).

For a --- is this correct? I thought the series itself was (-1)nanf(x) given from the above but I think it may be wrong?

for b.)... what does it mean write f(x) as a familiar functions in terms of a? I don't get how we can be "familiar" with this function... I'm guessing it has to do something with the initial condition, f(0) = 1? but what? hints please.

for c.) c is contingent on my answer on b... but I do know we're using the LaGrange Remainder.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
carlodelmundo said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x) be a function with the following properties.

i. f(0) = 1

ii. For all integers n [tex]\geq[/tex] 0, the 0, the nth derivative, f (n)(x) = (-1)nanf(x), where a > 0 and a [tex]\neq[/tex] 1.

a.) Write the first four non-zero terms of the power series of f(x) centered at zero, in terms of a.

b.) Write f(x) as a familiar function in terms of a.

c.) How many terms of the power series are necessary to approximate f(0.2) with an error less than 0.001 with a = 2?

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) Here is my work for:
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex] (-1)nanf(x) = (-1)0a0f(x) + (-1)af(x) + (-1)2a2f(x) + (-1)3a3f(x)

= f(x) - af(x) + a2f(x) - a3f(x).
That's not even a power series! The power series for f(x), about 0 (the MacLaurin series) is f(0)+ f'(0)x+ f"(0)/2! x^2+ ...+ f(n)(0)/n! x^n+ ...
It should be easy to determine the derivatives of f evaluated at 0.

For a --- is this correct? I thought the series itself was (-1)nanf(x) given from the above but I think it may be wrong?

for b.)... what does it mean write f(x) as a familiar functions in terms of a? I don't get how we can be "familiar" with this function... I'm guessing it has to do something with the initial condition, f(0) = 1? but what? hints please.

for c.) c is contingent on my answer on b... but I do know we're using the LaGrange Remainder.

Thanks for the help

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite sum of terms. It is represented by the symbol "∑" and is used to represent a sum of an infinite number of terms, each of which follows a certain pattern.

2. What is a familiar function?

A familiar function is a mathematical function that is commonly used and well-known. These functions typically have simple and familiar shapes, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

3. How are infinite series and familiar functions related?

Infinite series can be used to represent familiar functions in a more compact form. By using an infinite series, we can approximate a familiar function with a finite number of terms and still get a good estimation of the function's value.

4. What are some examples of familiar functions represented by infinite series?

Some examples include the sine function, which can be represented by the infinite series of its Maclaurin series, and the logarithmic function, which can be represented by the infinite series of its Taylor series.

5. What are some applications of infinite series and familiar functions?

Infinite series and familiar functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and solve problems. They are also used in calculus to approximate functions and calculate areas and volumes.