Convergence or Divergence of Infinite Series: Methods and Examples

In summary, the series Ʃ(1/(n*ln(n)^2 - n)) from n = 3 to infinity converges by the integral test, as the integral of the series converges.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

Determine convergence or divergence using any method covered so far*:

Ʃ(1/(n*ln(n)^2 - n)) from n = 1 to infinity*The methods are the following:

- Dichotomy for positive series (if the partial sums are bounded above and the series is positive, the series converges)

- Integral Test

- Convergence of p-Series

- Comparison test

- Limit Comparison Test

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The series is negative for n = 1 and 2, so I am left with Comparison test but I am having trouble determining what sequence to compare to. I am not "seeing" it.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsernaw said:

Homework Statement

Determine convergence or divergence using any method covered so far*:

Ʃ(1/(n*ln(n)^2 - n)) from n = 1 to infinity

Is that denominator ##n\ln^2(n) -n## or ##n\ln (n^2)-n##?
*The methods are the following:

- Dichotomy for positive series (if the partial sums are bounded above and the series is positive, the series converges)

- Integral Test

- Convergence of p-Series

- Comparison test

- Limit Comparison Test

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The series is negative for n = 1 and 2, so I am left with Comparison test but I am having trouble determining what sequence to compare to. I am not "seeing" it.

It doesn't matter if the first few terms of the series are negative. It is the tail end of the series that determines convergence or divergence. So don't rule out the other methods.

The denominator is the first one you posted, n*(ln(n))^2 - n.

In my book for the Limit Comparison Test it states "Let a[n] and b[n] be positive sequences." I assumed that "positive sequences" meant positive for all n [1, infinity). So it is really saying that if the sequence converges to a positive value or diverges "positively" than one can use the Limit Comp test on these sequences? Or am I still off base

physicsernaw said:
The denominator is the first one you posted, n*(ln(n))^2 - n.

In my book for the Limit Comparison Test it states "Let a[n] and b[n] be positive sequences." I assumed that "positive sequences" meant positive for all n [1, infinity). So it is really saying that if the sequence converges to a positive value or diverges "positively" than one can use the Limit Comp test on these sequences? Or am I still off base

If ##\sum_{n=3}^\infty a_n## converges or diverges, adding ##a_1+a_2## to it won't change the convergence or divergence. So analyze the sum from 3. I would suggest a combination of comparison and integral tests.

Likes 1 person
Ahh I see thanks for clarifying. I will reattempt the problem.

EDIT: Got it by simply using integral test from n=3 to infinity. The integral converges so the series must as well. Thanks LCKurtz.

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite series problem?

An infinite series problem is a mathematical concept that involves an infinite sequence of terms being added together. The terms in the sequence can either increase or decrease in value and the sum of these terms is known as the series.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will approach a finite value (converge) or will increase without bound (diverge).

3. What is the difference between an infinite series and a finite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, whereas an infinite series has an infinite number of terms. This means that a finite series can be summed to a finite value, while an infinite series may or may not have a finite sum depending on whether it converges or diverges.

4. Can an infinite series have a negative sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a negative sum. This occurs when the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in a cancellation of terms and a final negative sum.

5. How are infinite series used in real-life applications?

Infinite series are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-life situations. They are particularly useful in approximation methods and can help to better understand the behavior of complex systems or phenomena.