1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite square potential well

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think this is a square well potential problem. The question asks me to sketch the ground-state probability density, for the following situation:

A quasielectron moves in a 'quantum dot' device. The potential V(x) = 0 for 0 ≤ x < L, and is infinite otherwise.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm going to need to solve the Schrodinger equation within the device. I have no idea what a quantum dot is, but presumably it doesn't actually matter! I think you can just treat it like an infinite square potential. The Schrodinger equation is

##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^2} = E \psi##
    Within the device. And I also need boundary conditions. One of these boundary conditions is ##\psi(L)=0##, since the potential is infinite at L. Annoyingly, the potential is 0 at x=0, so I can't use the same reasoning there. So my first question is, how do I get my second boundary condition? I don't see how the potential being zero at x=0 in any way restricts what ##\psi## could be...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A. I wouldn't solve anything. It says "sketch".

B. If I were going to solve something, I'd make the problem more symmetric.

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Don't I need to calculate the probability density in order to sketch it?

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Specifying ##V(x) = 0 \ (0 \le x < 1)## is equivalent to ##V(x) = 0 \ (0 < x < 1)##.

6. Jan 28, 2016 #5
    Why? In the first inequality V(x) is zero at x = 0, but in the second inequality the potential is infinite at x = 0. So I can't say that at x = 0, the wavefunction is zero, and I don't know where else to get a second boundary condition from.

7. Jan 28, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whether the boundary points are in or out doesn't affect the functions or the integrals. If the wavefunction is not ##0## at ##x=0## then it is discontinuous when viewed as a function for all ##x##.

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7
    So if I said the wavefunction is zero at x = 0, then I'm excluding the electron from being at x = 0, even though at x = 0 the potential is zero... that's ok? I thought it would have something to do with continuity! I was trying to find a way to use the derivative of ##\psi##.

Vanadium's post makes it sound like I don't actually need to solve for ##\psi## though to sketch the probability distribution. I know it's zero at the edges, but don't I need to integrate the magnitude between infinity and negative infinity to work out the probability density? How could I sketch it without an equation?

9. Jan 28, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I suspect whover set the question didn't give it a second thought!

10. Jan 28, 2016 #9
    I know I'd only actually have to integrate between L and 0, and it should equal 1. And it's zero at both edges. Where does the whole 'ground state' thing come into it, anyway?

If this is actually a really easy question, I must be missing some fairly basic information.

11. Jan 28, 2016 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you supposed to know the ground state of the infinite square well? If not, then to sketch it, you'd have to solve the Schrodinger equation, I imagine.

12. Jan 28, 2016 #11
    OK. We haven't done anything specifically about ground states of infinite square wells. I'd better solve the Schrodinger equation then!

13. Jan 28, 2016 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It can't do any harm!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted