• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Infinite Square Well - Particle in linear combination of states

• Thread starter galactic
  • Start date
A particle of mass m is trapped in a one-dimensional infinite square well running from x= -L/2 to L/2. The particle is in a linear combination of its ground state and first excited state such that its expectation value of momentum takes on its largest possible value at t=0.

I know the process of solving PDE's clear as day, thats not the issue. The problem is that I'm tripping myself out on how to write [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] as a linear combination of its ground state + first excited state.

My hunch is to approach the problem like this :

[itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex]=c[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t)[/itex]+c[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex]

where 0 and 1 represent the ground state and first state, respectively

I'm confusing myself on what needs to fill in the equations! Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The clever answer is that this problem is ill-posed, because strictly speaking a particle in an infinite-square well has no momentum observable, but I'm pretty sure that this is not what the professor wants to know ;-).

So guess you are supposed to find [itex]c_0[/itex] and [itex]c_1[/itex] such that the naive "momentum"-expectation value
[tex]\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \mathrm{d} x \; \psi^*(x,t) \left (-\hbar \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x} \psi(x,t) \right )=\text{max},[/tex]
where [itex]\psi[/itex] must be properly normalized, i.e.,
[tex]\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \mathrm{d} x \; |\psi(x,t)|^2=0.[/tex]

The clever answer is that this problem is ill-posed, because strictly speaking a particle in an infinite-square well has no momentum observable, but I'm pretty sure that this is not what the professor wants to know ;-).

So guess you are supposed to find [itex]c_0[/itex] and [itex]c_1[/itex] such that the naive "momentum"-expectation value
[tex]\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \mathrm{d} x \; \psi^*(x,t) \left (-\hbar \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x} \psi(x,t) \right )=\text{max},[/tex]
where [itex]\psi[/itex] must be properly normalized, i.e.,
[tex]\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \mathrm{d} x \; |\psi(x,t)|^2=0.[/tex]
thanks! that makes sense. By the way, the problem wants me to find the nomalized ψ(x,t) and the usual dynamical quantities (<x>, <p>, check m(d/dx)<x>=p, Δx, Δp, check ΔxΔp satisfies uncertainty principle)

how do we write ψ(x,t) as a linear combination of its ground and first excited state like the problem asks??

Last edited:
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Just like you did in the original post.

I'm stuck on the fact that were given the phrase "expectation value of the momentum is a maximum when t=0."

the energy of the second state is higher than that of the first, which implies the momentum of the second state which is more than that in the first (ps- I'm just talking about expectation values)

Does anyone know what this means ?

Still confused about that phrase, if anyone has ideas please let me know ! Thanks