Infinite Sum Question (q-harmonic?)

In summary, the conversation involves a person working with a series involving x and a, and hoping to find an analytic approximation or sensitivity analysis for the sum. The function seems well-behaved for reasonable values of x and a, and the person is an economist and the series is from a model they formulated. They are looking for a bound on the derivative of the sum with respect to x, and have tried using initial terms but have not had success. They have simulated the sum and gotten the desired results, but are now looking for an analytic result. Suggestions are made to approximate or bound the sum in different regimes, using $N = \frac{\log a}{\log x}$ and considering the tail of the sum. An example is
re8
I have been working with the following series $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{a+x^n}$, where $0<x < 1$. I had a feeling it might be related to q-harmonic series, but I really have no idea:-)

I am looking for either a good analytic approximation, or even some idea of the sensitivity of this sum to the parameters x and a. But I would grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. The function seems to be well-behaved enough, at least for 'reasonable' values of x and a. In what context did you find this? I wasn't able to find anything in the 'normal places', but I might have missed something.

What kinds of values do you have for a and x?

Context

x can be pretty much anything between 0 and 1; I need to check a to see what kinds of restrictions I have on it, but I think it is also between 0 and 1.

In case you are curious, I'm an economist and it is from a model we formulated:-) It essentially represents the future benefit from varying a certain action x in the model, and we want to show that this future benefit is dominated by the cost today of the action (hence the action is not worthwhile) - hence the need for some idea of the impact of changing x on this sum. I can give you more detail if you like. A bound on the derivative of the sum w.r.t. x would be a start, although these changes aren't necessarily infinitesimal. I tried obvious things like using the initial terms, but it wasn't quite enough.

I have simulated it for a very fine grid of values for x between 0 and 1 and I get the results I want, but I would like to see if I can get an analytic result.

I don't know of an analytic result. For a fixed value of either x or a it probably wouldn't be hard, but for both... nothing comes to mind.

How close to the extremes can the values come? Would x = 0.9999 be common? As long x isn't too close to 1 and a isn't too close to 0 it's easy to calculate this.

I haven't checked this, so I have probably gotten some of the regions of validity wrong, but here are my thoughts on approximating the sum.

Write $N = \frac{\log a}{\log x}$ so that your series becomes $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{a+x^n} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{1+x^{N-n}}$. Over all integer $n$, this curve is a sigmoid, and $N$ is the knee of the curve (value $1/2$) where terms transition from "near 1" to "near 0"; you can approximate or bound the series separately in these two regimes.

Things are especially convenient if you can restrict $2N$ to an integer; $\frac{1}{1+x^{N-n}}+\frac{1}{1+x^{N-(2N-n)}}=1$, so terms $n$ and $2N-n$ of the series now sum to $1$ and the sum from $0$ to $2N$ is $\frac{2N+1}{2}$ exactly, and you only have to consider the tail of the sum. But even if $2N$ is not an integer, this is a pretty good approximation for the first $\round{2N}$ terms of the sum (including a fraction of the final term).

If $1/a$ or $1/x$ is large, then in the tail of the sum ($n>2N$) you can reasonably approximate $\frac{1}{1+x^{N-n}} \approx x^{n-N}-x^{2(n-N)}+\cdots$ using the first few terms of a geometric series; now just sum these to get an estimate of the tail of the series. This estimate isn't very good when $a$ and $x$ are near $1$; but for $x$ near $1$ the terms vary slowly with $n$, and you can approximate the sum by an integral (which evaluates to a hypergeometric function).

Thanks - I'll try this

Thanks - I'll try that

What is an infinite sum question?

An infinite sum question, also known as a q-harmonic question, is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of an infinite series of numbers. This type of question is often found in calculus and other advanced math courses.

How do you solve an infinite sum question?

The solution to an infinite sum question involves using a specific formula, known as the q-harmonic series formula, which allows you to find the sum of an infinite series by plugging in the value of q. This formula is derived from the geometric series formula and is commonly used in advanced mathematics.

What is the purpose of an infinite sum question?

Infinite sum questions are used to test a person's understanding of mathematical concepts such as series and sequences. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for further studies in math and other scientific fields.

Are there any real-life applications of infinite sum questions?

While infinite sum questions may seem theoretical, they have several real-life applications. For example, they can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object with changing acceleration or to determine the total amount of interest earned on a continuous investment.

Can infinite sum questions have different values depending on the value of q?

Yes, the value of q in an infinite sum question can significantly affect the overall sum. For example, if q is less than 1, the sum will converge to a finite value, while if q is greater than 1, the sum will diverge to infinity. Therefore, it is essential to consider the value of q when solving an infinite sum question.