Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity in Finite Proper Time

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Working on pervect's "messy unsolved" problem has led me to an interesting result. Let [itex]\left( x , t \right)[/itex] be a global inertial coordinate system for Minkowski spacetime.

Consider the worldline given by

[tex]t \left( \tau \right) = \frac{\tau^3}{3} - \frac{1}{4 \tau}[/tex]

[tex]x \left( \tau \right) = -\frac{\tau^3}{3} - \frac{1}{4 \tau}.[/tex]

Then

[tex]\frac{dt}{d \tau} = \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{d \tau} =- \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2}.[/tex]

Note that [itex]dt/d\tau > 0[/itex], and that

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    \left( \frac{dt}{d \tau} \right)^2 - \left( \frac{dx}{d \tau} \right)^2 &= \left( \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2} \right)^2 - \left( - \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2} \right)^2\\
    & = 1.
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

Therefore, [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper time for a futute-directed timelike worldline.

Note also that when [itex]\tau = -1[/itex], both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are finite, but as [itex]\tau \rightarrow 0_-[/itex], both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] wander off to positive infinity.

The situation is unphysical because the 4-acceleration is unbounded, although there are no hyperlight speeds.

Regards,
    George

PS I think I have found an expression for the 4-acceleration of a specific example of pervect's problem, but I have to check to see if my solution really does satisfy the necessary criteria.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted