Infinity over infinity squared

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the original question is asking whether the entire log is being squared or just the argument (1-x). The log function is commonly squared as either ln^2(1-x) or (ln(1-x))^2. Based on convention, it is likely that only the argument is being squared.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbwNvxhmIxeKxB.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unclear on whether the entire log is being squared or if just the (1-x) term in the denominator is being squared. I know if it's the latter, then the exponent can be moved to in front of the log.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbwNvxhmIxeKxB.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unclear on whether the entire log is being squared or if just the (1-x) term in the denominator is being squared. I know if it's the latter, then the exponent can be moved to in front of the log.

I would say it's almost certainly the (1-x) that is squared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, there!
My interpretation is that it is only the argument of the log function that is squared.
Why?

Because if you wish to square the log, by far the most common conventions are either:
a) [itex]\ln^{2}(1-x)[/itex]
b) [itex](\ln(1-x))^{2}[/itex]

1. What is infinity over infinity squared?

Infinity over infinity squared is a mathematical expression that represents an infinitely large number divided by another infinitely large number that has been squared. It is often used to describe the concept of an infinitely small quantity.

2. Is infinity over infinity squared equal to infinity?

No, infinity over infinity squared is not equal to infinity. The result of this expression is undefined because infinity is not a real number and cannot be directly compared or operated on.

3. Can infinity over infinity squared be simplified?

Yes, in some cases, infinity over infinity squared can be simplified. For example, if the two infinitely large numbers are equal, the expression can be simplified to 1. However, in most cases, the result will still be undefined.

4. What is the limit of infinity over infinity squared?

The limit of infinity over infinity squared is also undefined. This means that as the two infinitely large numbers approach each other, the result will approach a non-numerical value or infinity.

5. In what situations is infinity over infinity squared used?

Infinity over infinity squared is often used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts to describe the behavior of functions or to represent infinitely small quantities in equations. It is also used in certain philosophical and scientific discussions about the nature of infinity and the universe.