Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared Drying for firecrackers. Possible?

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    Hello.

We've been entrusted the job of building a dryer for firecrackers. We were approached by a huge firecracker manufacturing firm here for the job. The current MO of drying is simply laying the product out in the sun and allow evaporation of moisture.

But now they plan to go in for a more 'sophisticated' approach.

I know that the whole concept of heating the firecrackers to dry them sounds crazy. But, I believe if I pass them through a tunnel with infrared panels used for drying, and by controlling the temperature and speed of the conveyor, I might be able to achieve it.

Then again, I'm aware of the concept of dust explosion.

If anyone can provide some good insight into the topic, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would freeze drying work?

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like an interesting idea...

Is there experimental data how long at which temperature firecrackers need to get dry?
    How many firecrackers per time? That is a critical point, your tunnel won't be as large as areas with sunlight.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4
    I like the "Related discussions" below, vacuum drying. Wonder if it even works like that?

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Vacuum drying with a cold condenser would seem the way to go.

However, beware that very dry conditions increase risk of static electric discharge and ignition of the fireworks, which is one reason for using wooden implements and make sure metals are well grounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook