1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Velocity and Acceleration-

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    Initial Velocity and Acceleration--Please Help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are driving along a straight section of roadway (x-axis). You spot a police officer and apply the brakes, slowing down at a constant rate. Your positions (in meters) at successive time intervals of 0.515 s are tabulated below as function of time. (1) Calculate the initial speed (i.e., the speed at t=0, the time at which the brakes are first applied.). (2) Calculate your acceleration along the x-axis, ax.
    NOTE: Both answers must be correct to get credit.
    x (m) 6.00 18.46 30.00 40.60
    t (s) 0.000 0.515 1.030 1.545

2. Relevant equations

vi=d/t-at/2

3. The attempt at a solution

First, i found the velocity by doing the slopes, and the points i got were

.2575, 24.194
    .7725, 22.408
    1.2875, 20.583

i then found the slopes of those to get the acceleration, and i got -3.468 and -3.544. therefore the average acceleration is -3.5 m/s2

i then plugged the acceleration into the equation above and got that the initial velocity would be 25.1 m/s

i'm not sure about this answer, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    Re: Initial Velocity and Acceleration--Please Help!

Please help! This is due really soon!

4. Sep 10, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Initial Velocity and Acceleration--Please Help!

Your solution is OK, but I got 25.4 m/s for the initial velocity, using the first interval.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook