1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Velocity of a projectile, how?

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    Initial Velocity of a projectile, how???

If I have a problem that says the x and y distance of a target from a starting position, and only gives the angle at which the particle is launched, how do I find the required initial Velocity for its launch?

I've been given the following equations to work with:
    Vf = Vi + at
    xf = xi + Vit + (.5)at2
    Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad

I've spent hours trying to find a solution like this and can't seem to get anywhere. At one point I wrote out a huge equation with a bunch of trig stuff and it said a human threw a ball at over 513m/s so I know it must have been wrong.
    One line I have written in my work says:
    1.05=( Visin43 )/( Vicos43 ) - ( 4.9 * 9 )/( Vi cos 43 )
    but I'm just asking in general, how do you do this???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Initial Velocity of a projectile, how???

If you are given the x and y distance, in general, you use the first equation to solve for t in terms of x then plug that in the second equation, That gives you y as a function of x with the initial speed and angle as parameters. Use the third equation to find the maximum height reached by the projectile, in general.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3

I took what you said to heart and I still seem to just be making a mess.

Here are a few lines from my work:
    1.05 = Vy(xf/Yix) - 4.9 ( xf2 / Vix2 )
    1.05 = 9 tan43 - 4.9 ( 80 / Vix2 )
    Vix = .136 ???
    t = xf / Vix
    t = 9 / .136 = 66.176

seems like a long time for something to get to a target that close :-/

Do you think you could show me or maybe just give an example?
    My values are [tex]\theta[/tex]=43(degrees), xi = 0, yi = 0, xf = 9, yf = 1.05

thanks

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you state the problem exactly the way it is given? Your interpretation of the given quantities may be in error.

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5

quoting is probably not a good idea but trust me they were pretty straight-forward
    There was even a diagram below the problem

--
    A guy who's 2 meters tall, stands 9 meters horizontally from a ball-hoop mounted 3.05m high.
    He throws the ball at an angle of 43 degrees from the horizontal. How hard must he throught the ball (m/s) for it to go into the hoop but not hit the backboard?
    --

7. Sep 13, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

This equation is correct.
    But Vix is wrong. Check the calculation.

8. Sep 13, 2009 #7

extreme thanks

I'm not sure what I did at this point because I failed so many times but when i fixed that mistake, I managed to get to a correct final solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook