Injective immersion that is not a smooth embedding

In summary: I don't think this is a diffeomorphism, but I think it sends open to open...In summary, the conversation discusses an example of an injective immersion that is not a topological embedding, using the map ##\beta: (-\pi, \pi) \to \mathbb R^2## with ##\beta(t)=(\sin 2t,\sin t)##. The conversation also considers the concept of "homeomorphism onto its image" and explores the idea of finding an instance of a subset that is open in the subspace topology but not in the domain topology or vice versa. It is concluded
cianfa72
Hi, I'm aware of a typical example of injective immersion that is not a topological embedding: figure 8

##\beta: (-\pi, \pi) \to \mathbb R^2##, with ##\beta(t)=(\sin 2t,\sin t)##

As explained here an-injective-immersion-that-is-not-a-topological-embedding the image of ##\beta## is compact in ##\mathbb R^2## subspace topology while the domain open interval is not, thus ##\beta## is not a smooth embedding.

Consider it from the point of view of "homeomorphism onto its image" definition, I was trying to find out an instance of image subset open in the subspace topology that actually is not open in the domain topology or the other way around.

Can you help me ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
Hi, I'm aware of a typical example of injective immersion that is not a topological embedding: figure 8

##\beta: (-\pi, \pi) \to \mathbb R^2##, with ##\beta(t)=(\sin 2t,\sin t)##

As explained here an-injective-immersion-that-is-not-a-topological-embedding the image of ##\beta## is compact in ##\mathbb R^2## subspace topology while the domain open interval is not, thus ##\beta## is not a smooth embedding.

Consider it from the point of view of "homeomorphism onto its image" definition, I was trying to find out an instance of image subset open in the subspace topology that actually is not open in the domain topology or the other way around.

Can you help me ? Thanks.
You can show the complement in the image is open, to show the image itself is closed. Take any point x in the complement. It is at a non-zero distance from the image. Consider a ball centered at x with distance d/2 from the image, to show complement is open, so image itself is closed.

Thinking again about it, I believe we can find an example of that subset looking at the inverse map ##\beta^{-1}##.
Take an open subset ##(-\varepsilon, \varepsilon)## belonging to the ##\mathbb R^1## subspace topology induced on ##(-\pi,\pi)##. Its preimage under ##\beta^{-1}## includes the Figure 8 central point and is not an open subset of Figure 8 endowed with ##\mathbb R^2## subspace topology (it cannot be obtained through the intersection of an ##\mathbb R^2## open subset with the Figure 8 itself) therefore ##\beta## is not an homomorphism with the image (in the subspace topology)

Is that right ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Thinking again about it, I believe we can find an example of that subset looking at the inverse map ##\beta^{-1}##.
Take an open subset ##(-\varepsilon, \varepsilon)## belonging to the ##\mathbb R^1## subspace topology induced on ##(-\pi,\pi)##. Its preimage under ##\beta^{-1}## includes the Figure 8 central point and is not an open subset of Figure 8 endowed with ##\mathbb R^2## subspace topology (it cannot be obtained through the intersection of an ##\mathbb R^2## open subset with the Figure 8 itself) therefore ##\beta## is not an homomorphism with the image (in the subspace topology)

Is that right ?

Help ! I'm a beginner...just to check I got it correctly, can you confirm that ? Thanks

cianfa72 said:

Is that right ?
Careful, homeomorphism, not homomorphism. But be careful, a map may be open --taking open sets to open sets -- and not be a homeomorphism.

cianfa72 said:

Is that right ?
Just remember that a map may be open but not a homeomorphism. I think this map is a local diffeomorphism, so it sends open to open. .

WWGD said:
Just remember that a map may be open but not a homeomorphism. I think this map is a local diffeomorphism, so it sends open to open. .
ok, but just for the very fact exists an open set that ##\beta## does not send in an open set, it suffices to say it is not homeomorphism, do you ?

cianfa72 said:
ok, but just for the very fact exists an open set that ##\beta## does not send in an open set, it suffices to say it is not homeomorphism, do you ?
, Yes, that is enough to guarantee a maps not a diffeomorphism

EDIT: But as you said, there is an open interval in #(-\epsilon, \epsilon)# that hits the center part of the figure 8, whose image is not open.

Last edited:

What is an injective immersion that is not a smooth embedding?

An injective immersion is a mapping between two manifolds that preserves the local structure of the space and does not have any overlapping points. However, it is not considered a smooth embedding because it may have points where the derivative of the mapping is not invertible.

What is the difference between an injective immersion and a smooth embedding?

The main difference between an injective immersion and a smooth embedding is in their differentiability. An injective immersion may have points where the derivative is not invertible, while a smooth embedding has invertible derivatives at all points.

Can an injective immersion be a smooth embedding?

Yes, it is possible for an injective immersion to also be a smooth embedding. This can happen when the derivative of the mapping is always invertible, thus preserving the smoothness of the original space.

What are some real-world examples of injective immersions that are not smooth embeddings?

One example is the mapping of a sphere onto a two-dimensional plane. While this mapping preserves the local structure of the sphere, it is not a smooth embedding because it has points where the derivative is not invertible.

Why are injective immersions that are not smooth embeddings important in mathematics?

Injective immersions that are not smooth embeddings are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study the local structure of a space without necessarily preserving its smoothness. This can be useful in certain applications, such as in the study of singularities or critical points.