Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Innner products and basis representation

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    hi, I have a quickon vector spaces.

Say for example we have

X = a1U1 + a2U2 ....anUn
    this can be written as

X = sum of ( i=0 to n) ai Ui

now how can I get and expression of ai in therms of X and Ui.

do we use inner product to do this...ans someone please explain how to go forward.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the Ui basis is "orthonormal" then, taking the inner product of X with Uk gives [itex]<X, U_n]>= a_1 <U_1,U_k>+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_k<U_k,U_k>+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n<U_n, U_k>= a_1(0)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_k(1)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n(0)= a_k[/itex].

That is, for an orthonormal basis, [itex]a_k= <X, U_k>[/itex]. If the basis is NOT orthonormal, there is no simple formula. That's why orthonormal bases are so popular!

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3
    the basis is orthonormal...so the solution you suggested should be ok...however i dont have latex and have never used it before so cant view your reply. do I just downlad latex to view the thread or do I have to do something else.

5. Aug 18, 2009 #4
    thanks for the reply...as well.

6. Aug 18, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

LaTeX

Hi iontail! :smile:

You don't need to "have" LaTeX, it should be visible anyway.

There's just something wrong with that particular LaTeX …I can't read it either :rolleyes:

(I can't see what's wrong with the code though.)

To see the original code, just click on the REPLY button. :wink:

7. Aug 19, 2009 #6
    Here is what HallsofIvy want to write:

[tex]<X, U_n]>= a_1 <U_1,U_k>+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_k<U_k,U_k>+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n<U_n, U_k>= a_1(0)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_k(1)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n(0)= a_k[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook