1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insight needed into electromagnetism problem

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    The problem (From Electromagnetism by Pollack and Stump, exercise 11.34)
    A stationary charge of charge e and mass m encounters a electromagnetic wave with vector potential

[tex]\vec{A}=\vec{j}f(x-ct)[/tex]

where
    [tex]\vec{j}[/tex]

is the unit vector in the y-direction. The scalar potential is zero.
    What are the components of the velocity, as a function of time,

[tex]v_{x}, v_{y},v_{z}[/tex] ?

What I´m asking for is some insight into why the y-velocity is not a more complicated function. The y-velocity is:

[tex]v_{y}=\frac{e}{m}f(x-ct)[/tex]

More specifically, when the charge is stationary, it will begin to move in the y-direction because of the changing vector potential but the motion in the y-direction will result in the magnetic field causing a motion in the x-direction which in turn should (?) effect the y-velocity, but apparently it does not. Why?
    I wrote the equations of motion but they don´t seem to give any insight into the y-motion. I determined the equations of motion by starting with the following equations:

[tex]\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}[/tex]

(In the equation above, A is a vector)

[tex]\vec{B}=\nabla X \vec{A} [/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}=e(\vec{E}+\vec{v}X\vec{B})[/tex]

The function f(x-ct) isn´t a problem if we use the chain rule

w = x -ct

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{df}{dw}\frac{\partial w}{\partial t}=-c\frac{df}{dw} [/tex]

likewise,

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{df}{dw}\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=\frac{df}{dw} [/tex]

Note, I´ve been a little sloppy about notation regarding partials and full derivatives.
    The resulting equations of motion are:

[tex]\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}=\frac{e}{m}v_{y}\frac{df}{dw}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=\frac{e}{m}(c\frac{df}{dw}-v_{x}\frac{df}{dw})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv_{z}}{dt}=0[/tex]

Thus the z-component of the velocity is zero since it started at rest.

The equations do give the right answer for the x-velocity if I assume the value of the y-velocity. But they aren´t helpful in giving me the y-velocity. Note that the two equations involving vy and vx have an additional unknown df/dw. I´ve tried everything, even eliminating df/dw and getting an equation that appears to have just x-dependence on one side and y-dependence on the other which one could solve by setting each to a constant but that doesn´t seem to work either.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have your vector potential pointing in the z direction so the electric field points in the z direction also, yes? How is the acceleration in the z direction zero then? Also, the magnetic field is in the y direction, so the y velocity can't be affected by either the electric or magnetic field, right?

I think you have some confusion about which way everything is pointing though I suspect this is just a typographical error.

Here is a hint for when you sort it all out: what is [tex] \frac{d}{dt} f(x(t)-ct) [/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    Thank you so much for your reply, Physics Monkey.

You are correct about the direction of the vector potential, I made a mistake in its direction. It should be in the y-direction and I've edited my original post to correct it.

I've also gone back and replaced full derivatives which should have been partial derivatives. I think the derivatives for the velocity components should be full derivatives.

I have a feeling that you may be right about considering the x-dependence of time because when the charge does move in the x-direction, it no longer "feels" the same field and this might account for the charge not experiencing further effects in the y-direction due to motion in the x-direction.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?