Insolation, efficiency, and area

In summary, the student calculated the size of a FPC needed to supply a family's hot water needs in March in Denver, CO using the given information of 80 gallons of water per day, an average efficiency of 40%, and a collector tilt angle equal to the latitude. They used the example provided in the textbook and their calculation resulted in a collector area of 69 ft^2. However, their professor marked it as wrong and stated that the correct answer is 56 ft^2, potentially due to using a 50% efficiency instead of 40%.
EnergyKitty

Homework Statement

What size FPC is needed to supply a family's domestic hot water needs in March in Denver, CO? Assume 80 gallons per day are needed (1gal=8.3 lb.) for the water and that the collector-heat exchanger system has an average efficiency of 40%. The collector tilt angle is equal to latitude.

Homework Equations

Example given in chapter:
Calculate the size collector needed to heat 80 gallons of water per day from 50 deg to 130 deg F in March in Los Angeles. Assume the insolation is 1700 Btu/d/ft^2, and the FPC efficiency is 50%.
Q=mc(change of Temp)
Q= 80gal x 8.3 lb/gal x 1 Btu/lb/deg F x (130-50)deg F = 53,100 Btu/d
The heat available from the FPC will be Q = insolation x area x efficiency
53,100 Btu/d = 1700 Btu/d/ft^2 x area x 0.5
Therefore, the collector area = 62 ft^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the example I did:
Insolation in March for Denver, CO is 2060 Btu/ft^2/d (provided in the textbook index)
80 gallons x 8.3 lbs/gal = 664 lbs
mean temp in March in Denver, CO = 45 deg F (provided in index of text)
efficiency = 40%
664 lbs x 1 Btu/lb/deg F x (130 - 45) deg F = 56,440 Btu/d
56,440 Btu/d = 2060 Btu/ft^2/d x area x 0.4 = 69 ft^2

My professor marked it wrong and said it's 56 ft^2, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
EnergyKitty said:

Homework Statement

What size FPC is needed to supply a family's domestic hot water needs in March in Denver, CO? Assume 80 gallons per day are needed (1gal=8.3 lb.) for the water and that the collector-heat exchanger system has an average efficiency of 40%. The collector tilt angle is equal to latitude.

Homework Equations

Example given in chapter:
Calculate the size collector needed to heat 80 gallons of water per day from 50 deg to 130 deg F in March in Los Angeles. Assume the insolation is 1700 Btu/d/ft^2, and the FPC efficiency is 50%.
Q=mc(change of Temp)
Q= 80gal x 8.3 lb/gal x 1 Btu/lb/deg F x (130-50)deg F = 53,100 Btu/d
The heat available from the FPC will be Q = insolation x area x efficiency
53,100 Btu/d = 1700 Btu/d/ft^2 x area x 0.5
Therefore, the collector area = 62 ft^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the example I did:
Insolation in March for Denver, CO is 2060 Btu/ft^2/d (provided in the textbook index)
80 gallons x 8.3 lbs/gal = 664 lbs
mean temp in March in Denver, CO = 45 deg F (provided in index of text)
efficiency = 40%
664 lbs x 1 Btu/lb/deg F x (130 - 45) deg F = 56,440 Btu/d
56,440 Btu/d = 2060 Btu/ft^2/d x area x 0.4 = 69 ft^2

My professor marked it wrong and said it's 56 ft^2, where did I go wrong?
I see nothing wrong with your calculation. Are you sure the target temperature is still 130F? But my guess is the prof used 50% efficiency by mistake.

1. What is insolation and why is it important in solar energy?

Insolation refers to the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. It is an important factor in solar energy because it determines the amount of energy that can be harnessed by solar panels. The higher the insolation, the more energy can be produced.

2. How does efficiency affect the performance of solar panels?

Efficiency refers to the ability of solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. The higher the efficiency, the more electricity can be generated from a given amount of sunlight. Therefore, higher efficiency leads to better performance and more energy production.

3. What role does the area of solar panels play in their effectiveness?

The area of solar panels directly affects the amount of energy they can produce. The larger the area, the more surface area is available to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity. This is why larger solar panel systems tend to produce more energy than smaller ones.

4. How is the efficiency of solar panels measured?

Solar panel efficiency is measured by the percentage of sunlight that is converted into electricity. This is typically done under standard testing conditions, which simulate ideal sunlight and temperature conditions. The higher the percentage, the more efficient the solar panels are.

5. Can insolation, efficiency, and area be improved in solar energy systems?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to improve the performance of solar energy systems by increasing insolation, efficiency, and area. This includes advancements in technology, such as using more efficient solar cells and optimizing the placement of solar panels to maximize sunlight exposure. Additionally, increasing the area of solar panels through larger installations or using tracking systems can also improve overall energy production.