Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous centres of rotation

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1

Fermat

Homework Helper

Anyone know a good web site, or two, that will tell me about working out the instantaneous centre of rotation; for links only I imagine.

TIA.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

The first thing that came up on google [:biggrin:]: http://www.fsid.cvut.cz/en/U2052/node27.html. Not much, depends on how deep you need to get into it.

By the way, if I recalled it correctly, if you know the speed [tex]\vec{v}_{A}[/tex] of a point A, and the angular speed [tex]\vec{\omega}[/tex], then you can find the speed of any point B with [tex]\vec{v}_{B}=\vec{v}_{A}+\vec{\omega}\times \vec{r}_{BA}[/tex], where [tex]\vec{r}_{BA}[/tex] is the vector from A to B. The condition on the centre of velocity is [tex]\vec{v}_{B} = \vec{v}_{c} = \vec{0}[/tex], so you can find its position.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  4. Oct 14, 2006 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

Many thanks.
    I found a site (eventually - it took me ages, even on google) that told me what I was supposed to do. I used Kennedy's theorem to find the IC's and worked things out from there.
    It was faster the first way I did it though. I just resolved velocities at the link ends and worked my way through the mechanism. Instantaneous centres gave the same answer, but took longer :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?