Inteferenxce pattern of air wedge

• Thread starter somecelxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Wedge
In summary, the bright fringe is seen at Q because the light ray is blocked by the substance. At P, the light ray is not blocked, so the bright fringe is not seen. Why is it so?
somecelxis

Homework Statement

please refer to the question, since at the positon Q , the lighr ray is blocked by the substance , (as in the diagram) , why the bright fringe is seen at Q , In my opinion , it it should be a dark fringe.
whereas at P , the lighr ray is not blocked , so it should be bright fringe is seen at P.. But the ans is the dark fringe is seen at P . why is it so?
the ans is B .
Correct me if i am wrong. thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_082518[1].jpg
    IMG_20140906_082518[1].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC_0089[1].jpg
    DSC_0089[1].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
at the positon Q , the lighr ray is blocked by the substance ,
I'm quite sure that point Q is not intended to be under the shadow of the opaque material!

Q is in the air wedge but towards one end of the air wedge, P is near the other end. The photo purports to be of the interference pattern, so such shadows would not be included here anyway because a shadow is unrelated to interference pattern.

Now, your answer ...?

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen;4842787 said:
Why a shadow is unrelated to interference pattern.??

He means the shadow of the opaque material is not part of the interference pattern shown in the photo.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
He means the shadow of the opaque material is not part of the interference pattern shown in the photo.

well , can you explain why at P , the fringes is dark? This means destructive intefrence occur at P ? how do you know that destructive intefrence occur at P ?

somecelxis said:
well , can you explain why at P , the fringes is dark? This means destructive intefrence occur at P ? how do you know that destructive intefrence occur at P ?
In the region around P there is almost no path difference for the two rays, yet they still cancel. How can this be? What is it that is happening to one ray but not happening to the other?

I'm sure there was another thread on the air wedge just recently.

How do I know the fringe is dark at P? Because I remember that from my high school physics! :smile:

somecelxis said:
Well that's will be why the fringe is dark at P: destructive interference.

You know there is destructive interference at P for the same reason you know there is destructive interference anywhere. Work through the reasoning - show us how you are doing that - then we can help.

1. What is an interference pattern of an air wedge?

An interference pattern of an air wedge is a light or dark pattern that occurs when a light wave passes through a thin wedge-shaped layer of air. The pattern is created by the interference of light waves that have traveled different distances through the air wedge.

2. How is an interference pattern of an air wedge formed?

An interference pattern of an air wedge is formed when a light wave passes through a thin layer of air that is gradually increasing in thickness. This causes the light waves to interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of light and dark fringes.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern of an air wedge?

The interference pattern of an air wedge can be affected by the wavelength of the light, the angle of incidence, and the thickness of the air wedge. These factors can alter the path length of the light waves and therefore change the interference pattern.

4. What is the practical application of the interference pattern of an air wedge?

The interference pattern of an air wedge has practical applications in fields such as optics and metrology. It can be used to measure small distances and to test the flatness and thickness of materials such as glass and metal plates.

5. How does the interference pattern of an air wedge differ from other interference patterns?

The interference pattern of an air wedge is unique because it is caused by a gradual change in thickness rather than a series of parallel slits or a thin film. This results in a more complex interference pattern with multiple fringes and varying intensities of light and dark regions.