1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integer and Rational Number Subtleties in an Algebra Problem

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##S = \{\frac{1}{n} + \mathbb{Z} ~|~ n \in \mathbb{N} \}##. I am trying to show that ##f : \mathbb{N} \rightarrow S## defined by ##f(n) = \frac{1}{n} + \mathbb{Z}## is a bijection. Surjectivity is trivial, but injectivity is a little more involved.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose that ##f(n) = f(m)##. Then ##\frac{1}{n} + \mathbb{Z} = \frac{1}{m} + \mathbb{Z}## or ##\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{m} \in \mathbb{Z}##. This implies ##\frac{m-n}{nm}## is an integer. If ##m \neq n##, then the fraction is not zero but a ratio of two nonzero integers. However, if ##\frac{p}{q}## is ##\frac{m-n}{nm}## in reduced form, how do I know that ##q = 1## can't be true; how do I know that ##m \neq n## and ##p=1## can't both be true?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If ##\frac{m-n}{nm}## is a natural number, which you can assume since both are and one has to be larger than the other (or equal), what does it mean that ##nm\,\vert \,(m-n)\, ##? Just try some values to see what I mean.

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Suppose [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are positive integers such that [tex]\frac1n - \frac1m = p \in \mathbb{Z}.[/tex] Now [tex]
    0 < n = \frac{m}{1 + pm}[/tex] and as [itex]m > 0[/itex] we have that [itex]1 + pm > 0[/itex] and so [itex]p > -\frac1m[/itex]. However in fact [itex]n \geq 1[/itex], so we can get an upper bound on [itex]p[/itex] as well.

5. Mar 18, 2017 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Suppose [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are positive integers such that [tex]\frac1n - \frac1m = p \in \mathbb{Z}.[/tex] Now [tex]
    0 < n = \frac{m}{1 + pm}[/tex] and as [itex]m > 0[/itex] we have that [itex]1 + pm > 0[/itex] and so [itex]p > -\frac1m[/itex]. However in fact [itex]n \geq 1[/itex], so we can get an upper bound on [itex]p[/itex] as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted