Integral and a derivative definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical rule of integration by substitution and how it can be used to solve certain cases. The formula is based on the chain rule for differentiation and involves integrating functions with continuous derivatives.
71GA
Hello,

I just whant to know what mathematical rule alows me to do this? I mean i think it is u-substitution, but i am not sure how it is done here? It is weird to me as it seems that ##dt## just cancel out and limits are changed...

$$
\int\limits_{0}^{t} \frac{dv}{dt} \cdot mv \gamma(v)\, dt = \int\limits_{0}^{v} mv \gamma(v)\, dv
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by Substitution:
Suppose ##I## is an interval. Let ##g : [a,b] \to I## have continuous derivative. Let ##f : I \to \mathbb{R}## be continuous. Then
##\int_{g(a)}^{g(b)} f(x) \, dx = \int_{a}^{b} (f \circ g)(t) \, g'(t) \, dt##

pwsnafu said:
Integration by Substitution:
Suppose ##I## is an interval. Let ##g : [a,b] \to I## have continuous derivative. Let ##f : I \to \mathbb{R}## be continuous. Then
##\int_{g(a)}^{g(b)} f(x) \, dx = \int_{a}^{b} (f \circ g)(t) \, g'(t) \, dt##

This is a basic formula yes i know, but how does this solve my case?

"Integration by substitution" is, essentially, the "chain rule" reversed. It is valid because the chain rule for differentiation is valid.

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is also known as the antiderivative, as it is the inverse operation of taking a derivative.

2. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated using a process called integration, which involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at specific limits of integration.

3. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point.

4. How is a derivative calculated?

A derivative is calculated using a process called differentiation, which involves finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a function using the limit definition.

5. What is the relationship between an integral and a derivative?

The relationship between an integral and a derivative is that they are inverse operations of each other. Taking an integral of a function will give its antiderivative, and taking a derivative of a function will give its rate of change or slope at a specific point.