Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral arising in estimation of discrete series

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm trying to solve
    [tex]f(t;a,b)=\int_a^b\sqrt{t-x^3}dx[/tex]
    or find a good estimate for it. The problem is 'nice', and so various niceness assumptions apply: [itex]0\le a\le b\le t[/itex] -- and if other assumptions are needed, they probably hold. :D

An example of a bad estimate would be [itex](b-a)\sqrt{t-a^3}[/itex] -- I'm looking for a better, or ideally a tractable closed-form version. Mathematica gives a complicated form that seems to be concerned mostly with the case that [itex]x^3>t[/itex] which will not be the case here.

If it helps, a will be 'close' to 0 and b will be close to t.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Failing a closed solution, any thoughts on a good estimate? Any fans of systems other than Mathematica want to test this integral?

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Playing around with it a bit, it looks like

[tex]\int_0^{t^3}\sqrt{t^3-x^3}dx=\frac{\Gamma(4/3)}{\Gamma(11/6)}\sqrt{t^5\pi}[/tex]

5. May 1, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Simpson's rule gives:

[tex] \int^b_0 \sqrt{b^3 - x^3} dx \approx \frac{b}{6} \left( \sqrt{b^3} + 4\sqrt{\frac{7b^3}{8} \right)[/tex]. Should be reasonable? Which reminds me, I think you meant t instead of t^3 as your upper bound in your last post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?