Integral Bounds: Explaining Inequalities & f(u) to f(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of new bounds in a solution to a problem involving inequalities. The process involves making a substitution and substituting the values at the ends of the interval into the expression. The variables x and u are considered to be dummy variables in the integration process.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

This is the problem with the solution:

upload_2015-2-24_18-40-30.png

Can someone please explain how the new bounds were computed, I don't quite understand what's going on with the inequalities?

Also, in the final two steps, how can the f(u) change to f(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Speedking96 said:

Homework Statement

Can someone please explain how the new bounds were computed, I don't quite understand what's going on with the inequalities?

The inequalities are just another mathematical expression which describes the bounds of integration.

0 ≤ x ≤ a is just math talk for "all x between 0 and a, including both 0 and a."

After making the substitution u = x - a, the bounds of the u-integral are obtained by substituting the bounds of the x-integral (0 ≤ x ≤ a) into the expression for u.

Also, in the final two steps, how can the f(u) change to f(x)?[/QUOTE]

Once you have the integrand in the same form after u-substitution as the original form of the integrand for the x-integral, you can change u to x or whatever. These are essentially 'dummy' variables at this point.

Okay, when you say: After making the substitution u = x - a, the bounds of the u-integral are obtained by substituting the bounds of the x-integral (0 ≤ x ≤ a) into the expression for u.

How would you substitute an inequality (0 ≤ x ≤ a) into an equation (u = x - a) ?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-24_19-31-19.png
    upload_2015-2-24_19-31-19.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 668
Speedking96 said:

Homework Statement

This is the problem with the solution:

View attachment 79564

I think they have the second set of inequalities backwards; i.e., ##a \le u \le 0##.
The substitution u = a - x is equivalent to u + x = a. Both u and a range between 0 and a, but as x increases from 0 to a (assumed to positive, or at least nonnegative), u decreases from a to 0.
Speedking96 said:
Also, in the final two steps, how can the f(u) change to f(x)?
The x and u in the two integrals are dummy variables. With regard to integration, ##\int f(u) du## is exactly the same as ##\int f(x) dx##. It's only when you undo the substitution that you get something different.

Like, when the bounds are numbers, I have no problem changing the bounds when doing the substitution, but here I can't seem to wrap my head around it since the bounds are not 'numbers'.

Speedking96 said:
Like, when the bounds are numbers, I have no problem changing the bounds when doing the substitution, but here I can't seem to wrap my head around it since the bounds are not 'numbers'.
You're overthinking this. You don't substitute the inequality into the expression for u, you substitute the values at the ends of the interval into the expression.

If u = x - a, what's the value of u when x = 0? When x = a?

When x = 0, the value would be -a, and when x = a, the value would be 0.

Wow, it was that simple! Hehe.

SteamKing said:
You're overthinking this. You don't substitute the inequality into the expression for u, you substitute the values at the ends of the interval into the expression.

If u = x - a, what's the value of u when x = 0?
The substitution is u = a - x.

Speedking96 said:
Okay, when you say: After making the substitution u = x - a, the bounds of the u-integral are obtained by substituting the bounds of the x-integral (0 ≤ x ≤ a) into the expression for u.

How would you substitute an inequality (0 ≤ x ≤ a) into an equation (u = x - a) ?

Thanks for the help.

Look at u = a-x for 0 <= x <= a. When x = 0, what is the value of u? When x = a, what is the value of u?

1. What are integral bounds?

Integral bounds refer to the limits or boundaries of an integral, which is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. These bounds determine the start and end points of the integral and are typically denoted by a and b.

2. How do integral bounds relate to inequalities?

Integral bounds are often used to explain inequalities, which are mathematical statements that compare two quantities. Inequalities can be represented visually as shaded regions on a graph, and integral bounds help to determine the area of these shaded regions.

3. What is the significance of f(u) to f(x) in integral bounds?

f(u) and f(x) refer to two different functions that may be used in an integral. f(u) is the original function being integrated, while f(x) is the new function created after the integration process. Integral bounds are used to determine the relationship between these two functions.

4. How do you use integral bounds to solve problems?

To use integral bounds to solve problems, you first need to identify the function being integrated and the limits of integration (i.e. the bounds). Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the area under the curve.

5. Can integral bounds be used for any type of function?

Yes, integral bounds can be used for any continuous function. However, they may become more complex for functions with multiple variables or non-linear functions. In these cases, advanced techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may be necessary to solve the integral.