Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral definition of factorial

1. Jun 14, 2014 #1
    I'm watching V. Balakrishnan's video lectures on Classical Physics, and right now he's going through statistical mechanics.

In that regards he's talking about Stirlings formula, and at one point, he wrote an integral definition of the factorial like the following

[itex]n! = \int_{0}^{\infty}dx\hspace{0.1cm}e^{-x}\hspace{0.1cm}x^n\hspace{0.1cm},\hspace{2cm} \text{where}\hspace{1cm} n={1,2,3 ...}[/itex]

Why is he writing the integral in that way? With the dx first and the exponentials afterwards?

I thought the definition was

[itex]n! = \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}x^ndx[/itex]

Can anybody explain this?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's the same thing. But physicists tend to use the notation of writing ##dx## first for some reason. It's just a notational issue. For all intents and purposes, we have

[tex]\int f(x)dx = \int dx f(x)[/tex]

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3
    Ah, I was wondering that that might be the case :)

Many thanks Micromass!

5. Jun 14, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We can't really expect physicists to write mathematics correctly, can we?:devil:

6. Jun 14, 2014 #5
    Multiplication is associative! :P

7. Jun 14, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But it's commutative we want! :tongue:

8. Jun 14, 2014 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think of ##\displaystyle\int_0^\infty \cdots \,dx## as an operator, writing ##\displaystyle\int_0^\infty\!\! dx\,f(x)## is just as sensible as something like ##\displaystyle\frac{d^n}{dx^n}f(x)## - or even ##\displaystyle\left(\frac 1 r \frac{d}{dr}\right)^nf(r)##.

9. Jun 14, 2014 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone have any historical perspective on why some people prefer ##\int f(x)dx## and some people prefer ##\int dxf(x)##?

10. Jun 14, 2014 #9
    While I perfectly understand the idea of the notation, i think its confusing in the way where the following two ways are different:

[itex]\int(dx x) = \int x dx = 1/2 x^2[/itex]

And

[itex]\int(dx) x = x^2[/itex]

(Mind the constants not shows)

11. Jun 14, 2014 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, but this is bad notation. The ##x## in the ##dx## is the dummy variable. The other ##x## is an actual variable. You shouldn't use the same name for them.
    And indefinite integrals are tricky things so I'm not sure if the thing above is well-defined. See https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4566 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Jun 14, 2014 #11
    I fail

13. Jun 15, 2014 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No this is wrong. The second form should be [itex]\left(\int dx\right)x= x^2[/itex].

14. Jun 15, 2014 #13

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

It's worth pointing out that mathematicians do this as well, specifically in papers dealing with n-fold integration. Cauchy's formula for repeated integration is very often written
    ##\int_{a}^{x} dt_n \int_{a}^{t_n} dt_{n-1} \ldots \int_{a}^{t_2} f(t_1) \, dt_1 = \frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1}\,f(t)\,dt##
    Observe this uses both notations mixed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook