Integral of 1/(3cos x - 4sin x) with u = tan(x/2)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter chimera
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
chimera
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
could you please give me any idea to solve the problem below;

integral( dx / (3cosx-4sinx) )


and given a hint to make a subtitution u=tan(x/2), I've tried to write cosx and sinx in the form of cos (x/2) and sin(x/2), but it's seems like I'm not going anywhere, any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int (\frac{dx}{3cosx - 4sinx})[/tex]

Does this help?:

[tex]\int tanxdx = \int \frac{sinx}{cosx}dx[/tex]

It sounds like a partial fractions to me.

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Yes, you have to use the half angle formulas (or is it double angle formula?) for sin x and cos x.

[tex]\cos^2{x} = \frac {1 + \cos{2x}}{2} \ \ \mbox{and} \ \ \sin^2{x} = \frac {1-\cos{2x}}{2}[/tex]
 
It looks really ugly.

[tex]I=:\int \frac{dx}{3\cos x-4\sin x}[/tex](1)

Make the substitution:

[tex]x=2\arctan u (<=> u=\tan\frac{x}{2})[/tex] (2)

,under which simple trigonometry and differentiation will show that

[tex]dx=\frac{2 du}{1+u^{2}}[/tex] (3)

[tex]\sin x= \frac{2u}{1+u^{2}}[/tex] (4)

[tex]\cos x=\frac{1-u^{2}}{1+u^{2}}[/tex] (5)

Can u continue from here...?

Daniel.
 
Dextercioby, I don't get what u wrote. in the 4th warning. the (2) would u tell me. thanx
 
One-D: It's 4'th POST, not WARNING!
Daniel made a very common and useful change of variables.
That's all there is to it.
 
dextercioby said:
Incidentally i have 4 warnings...:smile: :rolleyes:

Daniel.
I already knew you were a good and inoffensive boy..:wink:
 
thanx. know i understand. it's only a simple subs. thanks anyway.