1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of 1/x in complex variables

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

Does [tex]\int 1/x dx = ln|x| + c[/tex] in complex variable theory? Or can we relax the absolute value restraint of ln|x|? (as in, can it be ln(x) + c?)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I'm not sure integrals work exactly the same in the complex plane, I highly doubt it but I haven't quite reached there in my textbook. However, choosing the principal branch of the log in the complex plane, we know from Euler that [tex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/tex] So the logs of negative numbers are quite easy to extend from the reals: [tex]\log (-b) = \log b + \log (-1) = \log b + i\pi[/tex]

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    not if you are integrating over a closed path containing the origin. Although this is a correct answer it doesn't give much insight to your question..complex integration is significantly different from it's real analogue.

for example: lnx as a function is senseless unless you've defined lnx as the complex logarithm, which is actually pretty complicated as GibZ's msg above suggests.

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    It is true that if [tex]\log z[/tex] is any logarithm along some branch B. Then [tex](\log z)' = 1//z[/tex] for all values not on B. No matter how you choose to define the complex logarithm there will be a branch where it will not be holomorphic. But it does exist at least partially.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?