1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of a logarithm using residues

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey everyone,

So here's the problem, nice and simple. I have to find the following integral:
    [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{p}ln(x)}{x^{2}+1}dx, 0<p<1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The only thing relevant is the residue theorem:
    [itex]\oint_{c}f(z)=2\pi i \times[/itex] sum of residues enclosed

3. The attempt at a solution
    So ive gone through it using a branch cut so that [itex]0<\theta<2\pi[/itex]. I then replaced x with [itex]z=re^{i(\theta + 2in\pi)}[/itex], setting n = 0 when integrating from 0 to infinity for Im(z)>0, then setting n = 1 when integrating from infinity back to 0 when Im(z)<0. Then I get this:

[itex]I=-\pi^{2}/2 \frac{cos(\pi p/2)}{sin(\pi p)e^{i\pi p}}[/itex]

Of course I can simplify it but its definitely wrong cos its negative, and there is a dependence on a complex exponential....so what have I done wrong? Am I even supposed to be using a branch cut or is it enough to do this with a contour indented at the singularity z = i in the upper half of the complex plane...? I dont see how that would work though, im pretty sure branch cut is the way to go, but I get this...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2
    Suppose we did some work and we ended up with the integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{r^p}{1+r^2} dr,\quad 0<p<1[/tex]

Can you compute that by contour integration over a key-hole contour with the key-slot along the negative real axis?

First though, solve:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{r}}{1+r^2} dr[/tex]

then:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{r^{1/3}}{1+r^2} dr[/tex]

then try to solve it for the general case, then we can go back and set up the original problem.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted