Integral of e^x/(x+1) | Solving Methods & Hints for Homework

• Thread starter Jalo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the theorem states that it is impossible to write down an infinite formula involving only elementary functions to give the indefinite integral.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Integral of e^x / (x+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to substitute e^x=c, dx=1/c but it leads me nowhere.
Integration by parts has failed me too... Some hints on how to solve it would be awesome
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be able to solve this by elementary techniques.

You should be able to convert this to a constant times [itex]\int\frac{e^u}u du[/itex].

You won't be able to solve that by elementary techniques, either. [itex]\int\frac{e^u}u du[/itex] is the exponential integral. It comes up a lot, so it is given a name, the special function Ei(x).

Jalo said:

Homework Statement

Integral of e^x / (x+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to substitute e^x=c, dx=1/c but it leads me nowhere.
Integration by parts has failed me too... Some hints on how to solve it would be awesome
thanks

To expand on the response of DS: it is a *Theorem* that the function f(x) = exp(x)/x has *no* elementary anti-derivative. It is not the case that nobody has been smart enough to figure out what the anti-derivative is; instead, it is provably _impossible_ to write down any finite formula--involving only elementary functions--that will give the indefinite integral. So, if you converted every electron in the universe into a large sheet of paper and wrote hundreds of symbols on each page, you still would not be able to write down the antiderivative! This fascinating topic got started by work of Liouville in the late 19th century, and is discussed widely in books and papers on symbolic integration (as in Mathematica or Maple). Still, the integral appears in many applications, so we just invent it as a new function and figure out ways to evaluate it accurately and efficiently.

RGV

1. What is the formula for the integral of e^x/(x+1)?

The formula for the integral of e^x/(x+1) is ln(x+1) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of e^x/(x+1)?

To solve the integral of e^x/(x+1), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts method. Both methods require algebraic manipulation and may involve multiple steps.

3. Is there a special technique for solving the integral of e^x/(x+1)?

Yes, the substitution method is a special technique commonly used to solve the integral of e^x/(x+1). It involves choosing a suitable substitution to simplify the integrand and then applying the formula for integration.

4. Can the integral of e^x/(x+1) be evaluated using basic calculus?

Yes, the integral of e^x/(x+1) can be evaluated using basic calculus techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. However, these methods may require multiple steps and advanced algebraic skills.

5. What is the significance of the integral of e^x/(x+1)?

The integral of e^x/(x+1) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in calculating areas under the exponential function, finding the expected value in probability distributions, and solving differential equations in science and engineering problems.