Integral of z²/sin²(z) around circles |z|=1 and |z-π|=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
squenshl
Messages
468
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


We know sin(z) has zeros at integral multiples of pi. Let f(z) = z2/sin2(z)
How do I find the integral of f(z) dz around C1 (C1 is the circle |z| = 1 orientated anti-clockwise) and how do I find the integral of f(z) dz around C2 (C2 is the circle |z - pi| = 1 orientated anti-clockwise).

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Do I use the Cauchy Integral formula for these integrals.
If not, how would I go about doing these.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No. 1 is my value of f(z) (using l'hospital's rule and the fact that f(z) has a removable singularity at z = 0 so this function is analytic).
My limits of integration are 0 and 2pi so my integral is 2pi.
 
No again. We use the residue theorem
integral = 2 pi i (sum of the residues)
= 2 pi i (1)
= 2 pi i
and for the next integral I got 4 pi^2 i
 
Last edited: