Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution

In summary: Your last explanation was very helpful. I would like however to compute the probability $P\{ X< \gamma\}$Can I follow an approach similar to yours above? I had been thinking of following the following approach: P1=integral(A(x)) over [0,x] where A(x) is the inverse gamma distribution function. Integrating over [0,x] will get the cdf however this does not exist in closed form. Hence, to compute this I can use the Gamma distribution cdf and a transformation. So if B has the Gamma distribution then C=1/B has the inverse Gamma distribution.
mloo01
Hi,
I am trying to solve the integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution.
Does this equate to 1 as it is a pdf?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
statty said:
Hi,
I am trying to solve the integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution.
Does this equate to 1 as it is a pdf?
Thanks

The Inverse Gamma Distribution has p.d.f. defined as...

$\displaystyle f(x;\alpha,\beta)= \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{- \frac{\beta}{x}},\ x>0$ (1)

... where $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are constant. The integral of (1), operating the substitution $\displaystyle \frac{\beta}{x}=\xi$ is...

$\displaystyle \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{- \frac{\beta}{x}}\ dx = \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \beta^{- \alpha} \int_{0}^{\infty} \xi^{\alpha-1}\ e^{- \xi}\ d \xi = \frac {\Gamma(\alpha)}{\Gamma(\alpha)}=1 $

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very much!
chisigma said:

$\displaystyle f(x;\alpha,\beta)= \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{- \frac{\beta}{x}},\ x>0$ (1)

... where $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are constant. The integral of (1), operating the substitution $\displaystyle \frac{\beta}{x}=\xi$ is...

$\displaystyle \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{- \frac{\beta}{x}}\ dx = \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \beta^{- \alpha} \int_{0}^{\infty} \xi^{\alpha-1}\ e^{- \xi}\ d \xi = \frac {\Gamma(\alpha)}{\Gamma(\alpha)}=1 $

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

On reflection I was thinking - Is the same true if I am integrating over a definite integral from 0 to a constant?

chisigma said:

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

statty said:
On reflection I was thinking - Is the same true if I am integrating over a definite integral from 0 to a constant?

I think You have in mind to compute, given a r.v. X which is 'Inverse Gamma', the probability $P\{ X> \gamma\}$ or something like that. This is perfectly possible for $\alpha>0$...

$\displaystyle P\{X>\gamma\}= \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{\gamma}^{\infty} x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{-\frac{\beta}{x}}\ dx = \frac{1}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{0}^{\frac{\beta}{\gamma}} \xi^{\alpha-1}\ e^{- \xi}\ d \xi =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\gamma^{\alpha}\ \Gamma(\alpha)}\ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(\frac{\beta}{\gamma})^{n}}{(n+\alpha)\ n!}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, that is most helpful

chisigma said:
I think You have in mind to compute, given a r.v. X which is 'Inverse Gamma', the probability $P\{ X> \gamma\}$ or something like that. This is perfectly possible for $\alpha>0$...

$\displaystyle P\{X>\gamma\}= \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{\gamma}^{\infty} x^{-(1+\alpha)}\ e^{-\frac{\beta}{x}}\ dx = \frac{1}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\ \int_{0}^{\frac{\beta}{\gamma}} \xi^{\alpha-1}\ e^{- \xi}\ d \xi =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{\beta^{\alpha}}{\gamma^{\alpha}\ \Gamma(\alpha)}\ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(\frac{\beta}{\gamma})^{n}}{(n+\alpha)\ n!}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Your last explanation was very helpful.
I would like however to compute the probability $P\{ X< \gamma\}$
Can I follow an approach similar to yours above?
I had been thinking of following the following approach:

P1=integral(A(x)) over [0,x] where A(x) is the inverse gamma distribution function.
Integrating over [0,x] will get the cdf however this does not exist in closed form.
Hence, to compute this I can use the Gamma distribution cdf and a transformation. So if B has the Gamma distribution then C=1/B has the inverse Gamma distribution.
F(x)= P(C<=x)=P(1/B <=x)
=P(1/x<=B)
=1-P(B<1/x)
=1-F(1/x)
Hence I am finding the Gamma cdf and subtracting it from 1.

Any thoughts?

What is the Inverse Gamma Distribution?

The Inverse Gamma Distribution is a continuous probability distribution that models the waiting time for a specified number of events to occur.

What is the Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution?

The Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution refers to the area under the probability density function of the distribution, which can be calculated using various methods such as numerical integration or closed-form solutions.

What is the use of calculating the Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution?

The Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution is useful in various statistical analyses, such as Bayesian inference, as it allows for the calculation of probabilities and confidence intervals for parameters related to the distribution.

What are the properties of the Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution?

The Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution has some important properties, such as being a continuous and non-negative function, and having a shape that is influenced by two parameters: shape and scale.

What are some real-life applications of the Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution?

The Integral of the Inverse Gamma Distribution is commonly used in fields such as engineering, finance, and biology to model waiting times for events such as equipment failure, stock price changes, and cell division rates, respectively.