1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Integral test and its conclusion

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    I'm really confused about this test. Suppose we let f(n)=an and f(x) follows all the conditions.
    When you take the integral of f(x) and gives you some value. What are you supposed to conclude from this value?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Look at an example. What value do you get from [tex] \int_0^\infty 3x\ dx [/tex] ?

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3
    ok so I get
    $$\lim_{t \to \infty} \int_0^t 3x dx = \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{3}{2}x^2 |_0^t=lim_{t \to \infty} \bigg(\frac{3}{2}t^2 - \frac{3}{2}0^2\bigg)=\infty$$

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

So what does the integral test say about the convergence or divergence of the infinite series ##0 + 3 + 6 + 9 + 12 + ...## ?

6. Aug 3, 2016 #5
    The series 0 + 3 + ... diverges. Since f(x) div, an also diverges. I get it how to use it now.

Thanks!

7. Aug 3, 2016 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Sketch a function with a positive graph and, on top of that, sketch the rectangles whose areas represent the terms of the related series. These rectangles have bases [0,1], [1,2] ... etc. and heights determined by the function's value at the left endpoints. The area of the rectangles is not a particularly good approximation to the area under the graph, but the intuitive idea is that the two areas are either both finite or both infinite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted