1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of motion (also First integrals)

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have got a system described by this lagrangian [itex]L(\varphi ,\psi ,\vartheta ,\dot\varphi ,\dot\psi ,\dot\vartheta )=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot\varphi^2 +\dot\psi^2 +\dot\vartheta^2 )+cos(\varphi ^2+\psi ^2)[/itex]. I have to find all system's integrals of motion.

2. The attempt at a solution
    From [itex]L(\varphi ,\psi ,\vartheta ,\dot\varphi ,\dot\psi ,\dot\vartheta )=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot\varphi^2 +\dot\psi^2 +\dot\vartheta^2 )+cos(\varphi ^2+\psi ^2)[/itex] I know that [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is the only cyclic coordinate. Therefore 1st integral of motion is [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\vartheta }=m\dot\vartheta [/itex].

And 2nd integral of motion is
    [itex]E=\sum_{}^{}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q}\dot q\right)-L=\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \varphi }\dot \varphi +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \psi }\dot \psi +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \vartheta }\dot \vartheta \right)-L[/itex]

Probably there are more integrals of motion. Unfortunately, I do not know how to find them. I would be grateful if you could help me and guide me through the process of finding them all.

Help me please I really need it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2
  4. Feb 3, 2014 #3
    Thank u very much, that Noether Theorem was the key.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted